"Ruined..."

Allie:

It was one of those days where you wake up, and instantly feel something good is about to happen.

Coming out of a cold shower, I began to hum softly while I tried to squeeze myself into my four year old faded Levi's jeans, and partnered that with an apple green DKNY shirt and white Nike canvas shoes, ready to start my day as one of the many jaded but productive employees of our small town publication.

The closet of a studio that I rented as my home was only two blocks away from the offIce where I worked. It provided me a great source of exercise as well as a valid excuse to avoid public comute. Walking was something I enjoyed tremendously.

"Hey Allie... boss wants to see you in his office, something about time." Gordon, one of our many cartoonists informed.

"Thanks. Nice shirt!" I winked at his black Led Zeppelin shirt before making my way towards the glass encased office of Harold Monroe, the town's favorite son and executive editor of Bedazzle Publications. His office had the blinds drawn, so I couldn't see if he was in a good mood today.

"You wanted to see me boss?" I poked my head in, after knocking twice.

"Allie... come in. Close the door." He replied, bent over a mock draft of tomorrow's edition for our glossy magazine.

I approached his desk after closing the door, and before I could say a word his arms were around my waist, and his lips were pressed against mine in a very loving manner.

"Well goodmorning to you too handsome." I breathlessly muttered after we parted.

"I missed you. You didn't come home lastnight." He looked worried.

"I do have a place where I live, or have you forgotten that?" I inquired, fixing his tie.

"I know, but I've asked you a thousand times to move in with me already. Everybody knows we're together. This whole town agrees we're a perfect fit."

"Well I don't need validation to date you, and right now I haven't reached that part yet where I want to spend my life with you... regardless of how handsome and smart you are." I pecked his lips again.

"But I thought you loved me?" He looked slightly dejected.

"I'm attracted to you. We're dating. We're still in the getting to know you stage. We've like what, been going out for less than a year. I need to be sure that I'm as right for you as you are for me. And right now, you forcing me to bring it to the next level is all the more scaring me to do so."

"I'm sorry. I just want to spend more time with you. I wanna take care of you. Make you breakfast. That's all." He smiled, sadly.

"I know, and I want that too, it's just that I need this relationship to go slow. I need to be sure, before I commit entirely to you. Ok?"

"Sure thing. That's fine. I'm sorry I brought it up. I just thought since we've been best friends since high school, there'd be very little adjustment on your part to... you know... commit to me. I guess, being lovers changes certain ground rules that we simply didn't see when we were best pals."

"Harold, I am the luckiest man around to be in love with someone as wonderful as you... it's just that I know you too well. The many girls you've dated in the past, the ugly split ups you've been through, the length of time... or lack there of... that you've invested in your exes gives me the fear that I'm not enough to make you stay this time. That nobody is."

"Then take a chance, let's find out together! Move in with me. Share my place. Share my life." He gently brushed his thumb over my left cheek.

"Tempting. But... no. Atleast, not yet."

"What are you waiting for... who, who are you waiting for." He had this frown that was so cute to look at.

"I'm waiting for the right time, and when that happens... if... that happens, you'll wake up one morning with me at your doorsteps, luggage in hand." I kissed him again, and I felt some of his sadness disappear.

"Fine. Then I guess that saves me the trouble of looking for someone to send to Alabama to cover the Blackrock controversy."

"I thought Sierra was doing that article?" I looked questioningly at my boyfriend.

"She was, before she found out she's pregnant. Now she has a wedding to plan, and could not travel. You on the other hand, has too much freedom on your hands. No family, no boyfriend to take care of, and no prior engagements. The timing is perfect. You take over." He snickered.

"You can't be serious."

"As a matter of fact I am. You know I don't kid around when the publication is at stake. This article, if handled correctly, can rake in more readers."

"But I'm afraid of planes!"

"And I was afraid you'd say no to living with me. Turns out my fears were justified. Now it's your turn to face your fear. Here's the ticket. You leave tomorrow."

And just like that, my day... was ruined.