"I would never do anything to interfere," Sabrina said.

"Perhaps not consciously," Taymorill replied. "But you are having difficulty with your family right now. Disagreements about unrelated issues may spill over into your relationship with your brother. Bitterness does not confine itself to the situation that gave birth to it; it seeps into every corner of your life if you do not take steps to eradicate it."

Sabrina tried to squelch the angry defensiveness that welled up in her in response to his words. "I don't think I am unreasonable."

"Perhaps not," Taymorill said gently. "But the universe is not a reasonable place. You cannot make it so. You cannot make yourself be entirely reasonable either; it is not in our nature. The only thing you can control is your attitude toward unreasonable things. If you cannot change them, what does resentment achieve?"

"Nothing except to make me miserable," Sabrina sighed.

"Exactly."

"But it's not so easy to just stop resenting injustices. I wouldn't want to stop altogether. That might make me stop fighting the ones I can do something about."

"That is indeed the difficulty."

——————————

After six days of meditation in various Trees, including one rather unsettling session in a root cave, Sabrina was surprised to hear Taymorill pronounce her ready for the purification ritual. "But I haven't really cleared my mind," she said.

"You have made significant progress. The purpose of this journey is not to reach the goal, but to learn how to approach that goal. It can take years to truly learn to empty your thoughts; no one expects you to achieve that during this time." He smiled at her. "You seem disappointed."

"A little, I guess. I have a thing about failure."

"It's not failure."

"I know. But I don't think I'm ever going to completely let go of my goal-oriented upbringing," Sabrina said, chuckling. "Besides, I've enjoyed this. Well, most of it. I'm a little sad that it's over. But relieved, too—Scotty would kill me if I missed his wedding!"

"I see you have come a long way," Taymorill smiled. "You have begun to overcome your decisiveness."

Sabrina gave a short laugh. "That may turn out to be a handicap in my line of work, Taymorill."

"But it is an asset in knowing oneself, and that is what we of the Trees hold most important. Sometimes one can become so focused on aggressively finding a solution that one's inner voice gets drowned out."

"True. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up with a solution I spent hours wracking my brains for the night before," Sabrina said. "Well, thank you for helping me, Taymorill. And now tell me what this purification ritual entails."

"You are overly suspicious, Sabrina; has no one ever told you that?"

"No one has the nerve, considering my history here. Do you know how Mara talked me into being her regent? She wheedled me into saying I'd do her a favor, and then sprang it on me. For a literal people, Praxatillians are notoriously bad at full disclosure," Sabrina said. "I'm still waiting for Scotty to tell me what I have to do at the ceremony; from the way he's been putting it off, I gather it's something I'm not going to enjoy."

Taymorill chuckled. "I imagine your brother has simply been trying to find a suitable way to tell you that you must make a speech about his many qualities and suitability as a husband."

Sabrina groaned. "And what in the world makes anyone imagine I'm qualified to speak to that?"

"You're his sister."

"I only raised him the first time," Sabrina said. "By rights, Leran or Selémahs should make this speech!"

"It falls to those who stand with the bride and groom to do so."

Sabrina paused, then began to laugh quietly. "I can't wait to hear Ford's speech! Presumably he knew about this requirement?"

"Presumably," Taymorill said. "Although I do not recall that the prince has ever participated in a wedding here."

"Is he having to go through all this as well?"

"Certainly."

"Good. I hope he got the speech about the futility of bitterness and resentment!"

——————————

The purification ritual was more like a day at the spa than the gauntlet Sabrina was half-expecting. After being scrubbed down with a mixture of Tree sap and ground bark, she was treated to a massage with mud from around tree roots. She was served a meal of various woodland delicacies, and then finally took a bath in exceptionally clear water from a nearby stream. It was cold, but it was a relief to have the sap and mud off. Lastly she was given a soft tunic and pants made of a cotton-like fiber and dyed a light green. One of the attendants did her hair, weaving small white flowers into a braid that hung down her back.

Taymorill smiled warmly at her as she emerged from the purification hut. "And now you look like one of us. I hope you will enjoy your stay among the Trees, Sabrina. May it bring you peace."

"Thank you, Taymorill, for your company on my journey," Sabrina replied.

He laughed. "You really did study before you came, didn't you?"

"I believe in being prepared."

"Ah. But there is so much in life that we cannot prepare for."

"Believe me," Sabrina said, "I know."