Chapter 38 - cory?

Start from the beginning

one
two
three

"YOU WIN. YOU FUCKING WIN. BECAUSE IT HURTS SO BAD, THAT I DONT WANNA BE HERE." There I go, laughing at my own shouting. Just fucking laughing, because life is so strange. I'm on a hospital rooftop, shouting into the wind and no one is listening.

No one.

My chest feels hollow as the lump in my throat grows. "I'm so sorry. I'm so fucking sorry. I'm so so sorry." Three

"You left me and I hate you for it. I hate you so much right now, that I can't even think about it. I wanna hurt and break down. I don't wanna be strong or hold it in. My body aches.. at the thought of never seeing you again."

"You were the stupid fucking torch, in my darkness. And it was so bright for a while. But now...? The flames burnt out. You better hope that he doesn't leave me either. Don't leave me alone up here."

one
two
three

"Please."

—————
5 months later
June 21nd

"Beth Carlton, we would like to call you to the stand." Beth stands up, glancing at me and then at Coles lawyer. "Take a seat please."

I watch as she warily sits, smoothing out her hair. "You made your statement the night of the crash, correct?" She nods and he continues.

"So to reiterate and refresh... Beth Carlton said 'The four of us had plans to go catch a movie at the Anchor Cinema. Belle Robinson and Mr Leery left early. Correct?" She nods once again.

"You continued to say, that you and one, Oliver Robinson, Belles brother, were arguing over something that magically, you do not remember." Beth shakes her head slowly. "Convenient. You accused Mr Leery of aggressively dragging her out of the room, taking Belle to the cinema in his car?"

I smile at her in encouragement, all she has to do is back up this statement. "A small bit of anger does not equal a deliberate car crash Ms Carlton. Your statement concludes there, is that all you have Ms Carlton? A measly little statement, as that does not account to the accusations you have placed on Mr Leery's head...? Ms Carlton answer me." She stands up, very calmly.

Everyone watches her walk over to her handbag, clicking a few buttons on her phone and handing it to the attorney. The judge doesn't speak, just allows Beth to control it. "This. This camera footage right here is my evidence. It's the footage of Belle being dragged into the car by Cole-"

"Objection your honor! We have asked that you do not include the defendants name in the court session." Beth scoffs and turns to the judge.

She waves her hand, letting Beth continue. "With all due respect, Mr Leery doesn't deserve any. It does not matter wether his name is included or not, because whatever future he had planned, is ruined. So don't even try to-"

"Okay! Ms Carlton. That's enough, thank you." The judge says as Beth takes her seat behind me, giving me an apologetic look. "Can we please display this camera footage and run it through our system for editing."

The security footage plays on a TV in the corner of the court room, the volume is overly loud. Possibly too loud. "OW. Cole stop! I'm sorry Cole. Please, don't hurt me-" The car door slams shut, muffling out any noise remaining on the footage.

"Next clip please!" Beth shouts from her seat and Coles attorney scowls. "Objection! Your honor, she is not on the stand, she doesn't have a right to-"