31 | boob privileges

IF ONLY IT WERE SNOWING Mollie thought as she gazed out the windows of her apartment that afternoon

IF ONLY IT WERE SNOWING Mollie thought as she gazed out the windows of her apartment that afternoon. For someone who loved Christmas but struggled to feel Christmassy until Christmas Eve, putting up the Christmas tree and decorations always put her in the right spirits. She'd decided to make a bit more of an effort this year, going out with Cal and Lux to pick a tree and buying some new ornaments to put on it, alongside the few sentimental homemade ones that she'd slowly made a collection of over the years.

The icing on the cake really would've been a bit of snow. A rare sighting really, snow in London. Even in winter, closing on Christmas, when according to all the songs and stories snow would be glistening across the rooftops, the thought of a typical White Christmas was pretty much unheard of. 

You'd sometimes get snow in February or March, when everyone was starting to wish for the sun. But snow in December? Mollie certainly couldn't remember the last time that happened.

Besides the clear lack of snow, the rush for Christmas was only getting more intense from frantic Christmas shopping to coloured, twinkly lights being at every turn. And with a bit of persuasion from Harry, Talia and Cal, Mollie had given in to putting up more than just the little tinsel covered tree in her set up. Luckily for her, it gave her yet another excuse to ask Harry to come round, which since the first time, had been a rather frequent occurrence.

"You getting up to anything nice for Christmas?" Harry asked softly as he hung a few ornaments on the tree, breaking her away from her thoughts and grabbing her attention, "going up to Blackpool?"

"For the first time, no." Mollie told him with a small chuckle as he frowned, "Mum and Dad are making the most of finally getting rid of all their kids and going on one of those Christmas cruises they used to go on every year before we were born." She explained as she fiddled with untangling the lights, "they're so fucking excited, they literally talked about nothing else for the morning I was with them."

Truth be told, Mollie couldn't help but feel upset at the extent of her parents excitement about being able to go on their Christmas cruises again. Since she was about eleven she knew how much they were longing for the three of them to be shipped off to university and the world of work so they could live (and holiday) like they used to. But the way they'd talk about it still felt like a punch to the chest eleven years later.

It was common knowledge amongst the three Devlin siblings that their parents secretly regretted having kids. They saw them to be too much commitment. They couldn't go on the same holidays they used to because they worried about the kids embarrassing them by being kids, besides, they'd be too expensive. They were too much noise. Whilst plenty of other parents would've paid good money for their three kids to be dancing and singing to music together, Lisa and Steve Devlin secretly wanted them to just be quiet. They didn't want one child. Let alone three and they were always of the mindset that they'd been stuck with them. It was one of the reasons all three of them were so keen to leave home, because they knew their parents were actually excited for them to leave so they could have their lives back.