(2) Episode 3.6

I'd slung the khaki jacket that I'd brought with me on and reluctantly walked outside.

I felt my heart ache the second I made eye contact with Cook and his baby blue eyes. I wanted to run to him, to throw my arms around him and beg him desperately to just be there for me, but I wouldn't.
The heart ache was replaced by the resentment I felt for him at that moment and the anger towards him, and thoughts about how I didn't need him flooded my brain, almost as a defence mechanism developed by my most stubborn side.

I realised quickly that I'd unintentionally stopped in my tracks as these thoughts raced through my mind.
He watched me, cautiously waiting.
I sighed and walked towards him.

"Kid?" I pointed, addressing the first confusion. The child was completely passed out.
"Paddy," he told me.
"Your brother?" I raised my eyebrows.
He nodded. "Yeah."
"And what the fuck is wrong with him, Cook?" I interrogated.
"Uh, he's stoned," he avoided my eyes.

I scoffed and shook my head. "You're a twat," I told him. "Fucking follow me."

I stormed back into Naomi's, Cook traipsing awkwardly behind.
Naomi and Effy were still thankfully in the garden.

"Put him down," I instructed, pointing to Naomi's sofa after I'd cleared two empty alcohol bottles off it.
Cook followed my instruction, placing the boy down on the sofa with his head cushioned.
I grabbed one of Naomi's tatty blankets from the floor and lay it over him.

I sighed again, before looking back to Cook.
"What are you here for?" I demanded sharply.
He sighed as well. "To talk."
"To talk?" I scoffed. "Fine. Come on."
I stormed back outside, and again, Cook traipsed behind me.

I led him to the patch of grass opposite Naomi's house and I sat down. He followed my lead, still struggling to make eye contact with me as he twiddled awkwardly with his fingers.

There was a silence for about ten seconds, and in that time, my anger continued to grow.
"Talk then," I snapped, "don't waste my fucking time, James."

A/N: possibly the shortest and most pointless chapter I've written BUT it's been near 2 months since I've updated and I really just wanted to get something out! I've actually been focusing on writing my first proper book and publishing so my attention isn't on this much anymore but I DO want to finish this story still!
take this tiny chapter as a reminder that I'm still here and I promise to get the next one out this week 😂