𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑: 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐣𝐨𝐛.

Start from the beginning

—What is happening, Obi-Wan? This doesn't seem like anything to me. —I poked his chest with my finger and squinted my eyes, pressuring him to give some answers.

—Look Phoenix, I know this is all very weird, but it may all be for nothing. —He smiled teethless, almost like he didn't want to give that much hope.

—But-

—Just trust Qui-Gon, I know he will explain everything soon, okay? — He grabbed me by my shoulders and gave me a little forehead kiss. Even though the gesture was incredibly intimate, I took it as a fraternal demonstration of appreciation and I silently thanked him for the reassurement. Then after, he made his way to Emperor Jinn. For my part, I wandered around for a couple of minutes, checking that Anakin wasn't near the area and I escaped to my room with the intention of meditating on my personal terrace and relaxing until my meeting later in the afternoon with my legion. As I walked to my room, I hurried my pace as I felt the familiar headache form...

◇◆◇◆◇◆◈◇◆◇◆◇◆

Qui-Gon's POV

—Do you actually believe it's possible? —Obi-Wan and I were staring directly at the commlink on my desk, not moving, barely breathing. Both of us were scared as if something was going to pop out from the screen.

—I don't know, that's why I called you. —I turned around and walked around the room. —Is it possible that one of them escaped? — I sighed, confused.

—There's no way. All of the known Jedi were murdered on the Temple and the ones that were out on missions had at least a legion of clones with them. One of them surviving doesn't add up. —Obi-Wan shook his head and grabbed the artifact, trying to inspect it further.

—I already tried that. It's some kind of technology that deletes the messages after some time. I'm surprised that one hasn't disappeared. —I rubbed my temples, seeking some peace in all of this mess.

—And how sure are we that this is a surviving Jedi? The rebels could have easily stolen their tacky little phrase as a political campaign. You know how the Jedi represented hope to all of them. —Obi-Wan grimaced at the last part. —We shouldn't get ourselves so worked up about it. We must be mindful.

Even when we had all of the odds with us, this doubt inside of my brain could not be shaken. Not only did the message follow the Jedi mantra, but it was written in an ancient code that no common mortal should know. There was no way it was just a coincidence.

—What about the secret language? Is that a political move too? —I hummed angrily, looking through the glass.

But Obi-Wan was right. If I let myself lose control over this, nothing good will come out of it. What I needed to do was to collect myself and start a rigorous investigation on the matter. And that started in the very place where it all began. Oh wow, I truly understand Phoenix, this view is magical.

—I think we need to dig deeper on this; the code was no coincidence and we need to get the upper hand while we have it. —My body faced Obi-Wan and he nodded. — So the first thing that we have to do is to check any discrepancies on the night of Order 66. Were you the one in charge of the Temple or was that Anakin? — I asked, pulling out some records from my archive.

—It was Anakin, I was in Mustafar with the Trade Federation. —He sat on the edge of the desk and revised some papers as well. I guessed he was looking for the same thing I was.

—And are those dead? —My witty question came out with the company of a sarcastic raised eyebrow, to which Obi-Wan laughed.

—Yes, Qui-Gon, I highly doubt they can live without a head. —He shook his head as he passed through the pages.