Chapter 8 Why doesn't that surprise me?

(Y/n)

It has come to my attention that you still spend time with the Potter boy. This needs to end.

I have chosen not to tell your father about this, for your sake, but if you continue to disobey, you will leave me no choice.

Love, Mother

Narcissa Malfoy

(Y/n) had read the letter one hundred times by now, still feeling angered, but she was also saddened.

Why couldn't they just leave her alone? Let her live her life how she wanted?

(Y/n) felt the anger rise again, as this is obviously Draco's doing. She crumpled up the letter and threw it in the corner of her dorm, letting her head fall in her hands, them going from her face up to her hair until she slightly pulled it.

Why can't HE just leave her alone?

At first she felt bad, when Harry had attacked Draco. It had actually scared her, the way he suddenly charged at him, but now her only regret was stopping Harry. She should have just let him continiue, maybe he would have broken Draco's arm or something, making him unable to write, but of course, then things might have been even worse.

(Y/n) got up from her bed and made herself ready for her next class, her having had a free-period, but before she left she picked up the crumpled piece of paper and hid it in her chest, as her dormmates did tend to be nosy, and them finding out about this was the last thing she wanted.

(Y/n) found the book she needed, her next class being Care of magical creatures. Funnily, she suddenly remembered the book professor Hagrid had made them all buy two years prior, the monster book of monsters, which she at that moment did not find funny at all as it had ruined her favorite shirt, but now, having given it some time, she found it funny.

She rushed out of the Slytherin commonroom and made her way to the outside, as the class was held by the Forbidden forest, but she was suprised to see that professor Hagrid had indeed returned, though he did not look good. His eye was black, or blacker than usual, it looking like he had been hit by something brutal, the gash on his cheek only adding to the thought.

When everyone had arrived, Hagrid led them all deeper into the forest, but not too deep, until they reached a small clearing. (Y/n), like maybe everyone else, was confused. Had professor Hagrid made a mistake? Where are the creatures?

But then the strangest thing happened.

Professor Hagrid held an apple in his hand, but then a bite was taken out of it, and then another. Some of the girls screamed, but professor Hagrid calmed them down, saying it was nothing to be scared of.

What was apparently staying in front of them is called a thestral. A highly social, mostly harmless creature that could only be seen by those who had seen death themselves. (Y/n) didn't believe it at first; this must be some kind of a trick, but when Harry revealed that he could see them, followed up by Longbottom, and Theodor Nott, she suddenly found herself believing.

It wasn't until Umbridge made a noice, reminding them all that she was there, that the class took a sudden turn for the worse.

Acording to Umbridge; Thestrals are beasts, bad omens, monsters, not something to show a student. She and professor Hagrid ended up having this long discussion, neither of them seeming to agree to what the other had to say, but Professor Umbridge was right in one thing, to (Y/n)s displeasure. Thestrals are classed as beasts by the ministy. No matter how well Hagrid has tamed them, that's what they were seen as.