Chapter FORTY NINE

Maya

The questions feel like they never end, although I think the police only stay another half hour. They want to make sure my story is the same as Holden's. It is. Holden didn't know the extent of it, but I tell Officer Samson. I tell him everything, even what that last month was like before I came back to Boothbay. Nella has to walk away after she tells what happened before Holden went into the house. She can't handle the details. I tell Officer Samson about how I've been in Boothbay since early March. I tell him how I got a new phone, because Ryland had messaged me threatening messages before I did. That's enough for the officer.

   He closes his tablet and looks at me. "Are you hurt?"

   I shake my head. "No. He just... he was going to make me go with him. He was so angry. He would have -"

   "Okay. And what's your relation to Mr. Prescott?"

   I freeze. What do I even say? "Friends. We've known each other since we were kids. We were just out for coffee when my sister called and told me to come..."

   "You're very lucky that he was with you."

   I let that sink in before I speak again. "Will he be okay? I can't believe he... he stabbed him." I'm still in shock.

   "Let me take your number. I'll call as soon as I hear which hospital they were taking him to."
I give the officer my number and thank him. It feels like he's ready to get going, but I need more answers.

   "What will happen with him? Ryland?" I spit out.

   "Oh. Don't worry-"

   "I need to know."

   "We will do all our questioning at the station. He was arrested and he'll need bail, or he'll stay in jail until he gets a court date."

   "He'll be here? In Boothbay?"

   "Unfortunately, yes. But I promise you'll be safe."

   But I don't feel safe knowing this. At all.

   "Will I have to go to court? Do I have to be apart of any of that?" I want to know.

   He nods. "They might call you to testify. Mr. Prescott, for sure."

   My stomach drops and turns upside down. I'm going to be sick. I turn away from the officer and take a few steps but can't keep it in. I puke off the side of Nella's driveway. The officer walks over and puts his hand on my back.

   "You're safe. You're okay. I'll be in touch. Go inside with your sister."

   I nod and agree and then go inside. I watch as the officer walks back to his car and drives off. He probably deals with stuff like this a lot. Maybe it doesn't even faze him.

   Nella has already called George and he comes home as fast as he can. He was out with some of his work buddies. He had brought Nella and Willow home after dinner at Marcus' and then he just went for one drink. George looks distraught as pushes open the front door and runs over to us. It's only been fifteen minutes since the officer left. Willow's in bed. She was pretty much unfazed by the event, while Nella and I are traumatized.

   "Why didn't you call me sooner?" George wants to know.

   My face is still tear streaked. I can't look at him. I put his family in danger. He's going to hate me.

   "I couldn't," Nella says, "it wasn't safe."

   "You were in danger. Some psycho was in our house threatening you-"