Chapter FORTY THREE

Maya

Things are different now, with Marcus. He texts me throughout the day. He asks me how my day is going and he says he can't wait to see me again. This is boyfriend talk, I know it. I should be happy, but something is holding me back. What the hell is holding me back?

   "You already went on a date, right?" Kayleigh asks, mid week.

   It's been three days since my hot night with Marcus and two days since I saw Holden at the store and took his business card. I put it in my purse where it has sat for those two days. I haven't even looked at it. Mostly I'm nervous what will happen if I do.

   Kayleigh and I are working together, which doesn't happen that often. She is staying late this evening to get some extra orders sorted and placed. The store has been quiet and I just started talking about Marcus, with her. His most recent text was asking if I want to go to his house tonight.

   "Yeah. We went on one date, like two weeks ago," I say, shaking my head.

   "And since then?"

   I sigh, placing my hands on the counter. "We've hooked up a few times."

   "So the sex is good, but?" She laughs and I pretty much just come to terms with the fact that I have to talk about this with someone, and it might as well be her.

   "He's been texting me this week."

   "So?"

   "I think he thinks we're... dating now. Or together. We didn't do much texting before this," I admit. "He's agreed - more than once - to just being casual."

   "It never stays casual. Someone always catches feelings." Kayleigh shrugs, but then realizes what this means. "Will you end it, then? So he doesn't get hurt?"

   I can't imagine ending this - whatever it is - with Marcus. That must mean something, right? Besides the fact that he's George's best friend. It's not like I'll be able to avoid him. He's a part of my circle of friends. I didn't think about any of this when I started this with him.

   "I'll try," I say, and I can tell Kayleigh doesn't believe me, at all.

   That evening, I go over to Nella's, after I close the store. I have her car so I pull into the driveway and go right into the house quietly, assuming Willow's in bed. But the little dark haired girl is running at me as soon as I'm inside and I instantly feel happier.

   "Aunty Yaya!" she yells, hugging my legs.

   "Hey missy, what are you doing up?" I ask her, then reach down to scoop her up.

   "She wanted to see you tonight," Nella tells me, stepping into the front hallway. "You want to do her bath?"

   "Yeah, of course," I agree, and drop my purse by the door before carrying my niece upstairs.

   In the bathroom, I run the bath while Willow rips off her clothes. I give her extra bubbles and then plop her in, dropping in some of her bath toys. We talk and play a bit, and then I wash her hair before draining the water and drying her off.

   "You kiss me goodnight?" she asks me, as we head to her bedroom to get her pajamas.

   "Of course I will," I tell her.

   It's only five minutes later that I'm tucking her into her bed and reading her favourite book, and then I kiss her goodnight.

   "See you tomorrow?" she whispers, before closing her eyes.