Chapter 2: "I'm Joy, by the way."

Začít od začátku

"Hey, you're Lydia's girl, right?" she asked, and I nodded, "how are you both?"

Is she asking that because she pities me?

"Uhm, we're good," I answered in confusion.

"Gosh, she evens lied for Lydia. She deserves better," she smiled at me, "are you going to see her after this?"

I nodded, "of course, I'm her ride home anyway."

"Acting like her Uber now? Yikes."

Gosh, these cheerleaders and her remarks always feel like a dagger to my heart. Does Kinsley sure Joy is my soulmate? I feel we will never get along. I'm a shy person who doesn't talk a lot, and Joy is the person who always talks whenever she likes.

Then finally, the bells save the day. I feel like the bell is the best thing that happened today. What's better than leaving Joy and her thoughts alone? I can't stand to hear her thoughts without getting hurt emotionally.

"I guess I'll see you at the gym?" She said, and she raised her hand at me, "I'm Joy, by the way. You're Harris, right?"

"Harris is my last name. I'm Claude," Seriously? I know who you are. I took her hand and shook it, "Yeah, I know you. We used to be partner in art class."

"Really?" she asked and thought for a moment, "oh, I remember! Sophomore year, isn't it?"

I nodded.

"Sophmore year, huh? Tough times to remember. Why does she have to remind me of that year?" Joy voiced in my head. I wonder what happened in her Sophomore year. Does it have anything to do with her dad?

"Can you let go now?" she asked, and I awkwardly let go of her hand.

"Right, sorry," I apologized and scratched the back of my neck.

"She's cute," she smiled at me and left the classroom. Did she think I was cute? Ugh. Calm down, Claude. Don't let her get into your head. She's just messing with you.

I stood up from my seat, and the next thing I wanted to do it talking with my best friend. I opened the door and instantly found Jessie walking down the hallway, "can we talk in my car?" I asked her, and she nodded in agreement. When we walked to the entrance door, I was stopped by Lydia.

"Where are you going?" Lydia asked me in her sassy tone.

"I need to talk to Jessie for a while," I said

"You can talk with her at the gym," she said, giving me a devilish smile, "come on," she said, clapping her hand and her friends followed her steps.

Jessie groaned at me, "I feel like Lydia's friends are more like minions," she whispered to me.

"Word," I uttered silently, and we laughed. We follow them behind to the gym. Lydia and her friends went inside the gym locker, but Jessie and I went to the top of the bleachers.

"So, what's up?" Jessie starts the conversation as she puts down her things.

"Last night, did you remember anything?" I asked.

She rubbed her chin and thought of an answer, "Well, I remember hooking up with-"

"Not that, the other one. It's about Lydia," I corrected her.

"Lydia kissed Cain?" she asked, and I nodded.

"Yes, and after that, I left the party. I drove to the beach, and a stranger came up to me," I spoke.

"Ohh, who is it? Is she hot?" she asked.

"I don't know about the last part. Anyway, what happened next was blurry, but I know she pulled me to the ocean with her, and when I woke up, I was in a different place."

"Did you go to heaven?"

"No," I deadpanned.

"Hell?" she tilts her head.

I took her shoulders, "Can you just listen?" She made a zipping motion on her lips, "thank you. I was inside Joy's bedroom."

Jessie narrowed her eyes at me, "continue, please."

"The stranger named Kinsley said that Joy is my soulmate, and I need her to be my girlfriend before we graduate," I said, and Jessie went silent for a while, "if I don't want to, I'll get bad luck for the rest of my life, and she'll marry to a person who she doesn't love," Jessie suddenly stood up and walked backward. I sighed, "where are you going now?"

"I'm sorry. What did you take, Claude? I told you how dangerous drugs are," she crossed her arm.

"Jess, I'm not high!" I said and scoffed.

"Can you prove it to me? Take me to this Kinsley girl," she said.

"I don't know where she is. When I woke up this morning, I was already in my room," I said, "but I can tell you what Joy is thinking right now."

"What do you mean?" she asked. I gestured her to sit beside me, and we looked at Joy, who was talking with the coach.

"Some telepathy power I got from Kinsley. Back in detention, I keep hearing her thoughts about Lydia," I recalled my memories, "can you believe that she called Lydia a hoe?"

"Isn't she?"

"that's not the point here," I raise my hands, "I think I can listen to her thoughts from here and I can prove it by her body language."

Jessie nods and focuses on Joy's body language while I focus on listening to Joy's thoughts. I know we look like creeps stalking on Joy, I mean, me. I didn't ask to have telepathy to listen to a specific person.

"I hope the coach stop talking so I can speak with my team."

"I hope the coach stop talking so I can speak with my team," I replayed Joy's thought.

"She doesn't look annoyed though," Jessie said.

When Joy finished talking with the coach. She approached Lydia, who was talking with the other, "why is this bitch here? She's not even the team captain, and now she's acting as she owns it now? How did Claude get a girl like Lydia?"

"I don't think I want to say it," I said to Jessie.

"Say it!"

"Why is this bitch here? She's not even the team captain, and now she's acting as she owns it now? How did I get a girl like Lydia?" I even mimicked the tone of Joy's voice, "what is wrong with her?" I muttered.

"Well, she's looking at your right now and waving her hand," Jessie said as she tilted my head to Joy.

Joy looked at me from afar and waved her hand at me, and I waved back. I can sense the hotness on my cheeks. Why did I even feel flustered? She's just waiving at me and noticing me even from afar... Gosh, why didn't I realize her attractive appearance sooner? I mean, Lydia also looked hot with her cheerleader outfit, but Joy also looked hot.

"Look who's embarrassed," Jessie teased me and nudged my ribcage, "all joke aside. I'm still having a hard time believing you."

I groaned, "Well then, I can't prove you more than that."

"Claude, you're my best friend, and I love who you are. So, if you still need my help, I would try my best to help you even though I still think you're getting cray-cray," Jessie said and hugged me.

"Aww, thank you, Jes. But the hug is unnecessary. Let go of me before Lydia sees us," I whispered, and she let go of the hug.

***

Vote vote vote!!
-Chicken