Chapter 2: "I'm Joy, by the way."

Start from the beginning

"Oh really? I wonder what keeps you so busy that you can't deal with your mad girlfriend because of you!" I fumed at her before she closed the door. I hit the steering when harshly and controlled my breathing. Calm down, Claude. The storm will pass soon as you know it.

I got out of the car and entered the school. I walked along the hallway and approached my locker room. I put some of the books that I brought with me. When I closed the locker, I was jumped by Jessie's face, "Jesus, you scared me."

Jessie Miles is my best friend, and she's a lot better than Lydia. She's always been there for me from the first years until now. She always gave me the best suggestion whenever Lydia and I had arguments. Speaking of Jessie, I think I should tell her about last night when I was in Joy's room.

"Damn, you look tense. Is it Lydia again?" Jessie guessed.

"Maybe? I feel like I had the craziest night I've ever had in my entire life, and is it wrong to pick a fight with anyone who walks past me?" I asked as we walked to the homeroom class.

"Let's not do that today," she said, and we took our seats. Today planned to check each other schedules and enjoy the rest of the day. That's what I thought I would be enjoying my first day of senior year. To make it worse, I only had one class with Jessie at it was calculus. Not only that, I accidentally slept on one class, and I had to go to detention—a great way to start the first day, Claude.

When I accidentally slept, I dreamed about the same thing as last night. Do I have to dream about Joy memories every time I sleep? Where is Kinsley anyway? When I woke up, I was already in my bedroom.

Before I went to detention, I had to talk to Jessie, "you had to get into detention on your first day of school, huh?" she patted my back in pity.

"Not that I was planning on sleeping and getting caught. Anyway, I wanted to talk to you after detention. Can you wait for me?" I asked Jessie.

"This sounds serious. Do I need to punch a kid to get detention?" Jessie asked, and I shook my head.

"Don't, please. Just wait until I'm done with my detention," I paid her goodbye and went inside the classroom. I sat on the last row, ignoring the others bickering about lunch money or something. They didn't bother me. What bothers me is what happened last night.

Will I keep dreaming about Joy? Will I get bad luck for the rest of my life if I fail? And how can I get close to the captain of the cheerleader's varsity team if my girlfriend is also a cheerleader? These thoughts haunt me, and I tried to distract them by listening to Arctic Monkeys.

"Gosh, how did I even get here," a voice echoed in my head, and I'm sure that's not the lyrics. I looked around to see Joy sitting next to me. Her looks dumbfounded me. She's wearing a pink crop sweater and ripped jeans, "and why is she looking at me like that?"

What's that on her hand? Is that- a handprint? It's red, and it looks like it happened yesterday. I learned about her past last night. Is this her dad's doing? As much as I wanted to ask her, I don't feel like digging into her privacy. I furrowed my eyebrows and took off my earphones, "I'm sorry, did you say something?" I asked.

She raised an eyebrow in confusion, "No?" she answered and slowly turned her attention to her phone under the table, "what was that? I didn't even say anything."

There it is again, the voice inside my head. Am I going crazy now? But I remembered what Kinsley said to hear what Joy was thinking about. So it applies in real life? Did I get telepathy powers? That's rad! I wonder what she's thinking again.

"Wait, isn't that Lydia's girl? Ugh, I feel so bad for her. Lydia's a hoe anyway," Joy's voice echoed in my head.

What's wrong with people calling Lydia a hoe! I rolled my eyes and put my earphones back. I was ignoring her remarks about Lydia. Then I felt a light tugging on my sleeves. I look over my shoulders to see Joy looking at me. I act like I didn't hear her thoughts, "Yeah?"