Chapter 7

Present Time: December 2000 / Draco's Time: Same as present

Draco Malfoy

Draco was in his flat pouring over Arithmancy charts when Astoria arrived through the Floo. He could tell immediately something was wrong with her. She didn't look angry but was definitely upset. He closed his notebook and put the quill down, then looked up at her and waited for her to speak.

"Tell me honestly, Draco, are you cheating on me with Hermione Granger?"

Draco's eyes widened and he stood up. "No. Of course not."

His mind immediately recalled that night on the beach, last week, though he knew that wasn't what she was talking about. Also, wrapping his arm around another witch hardly counted as cheating.

"Daphne saw you!"

"Doing what?" This was obviously something future Draco had done and he knew he had to proceed carefully, since he had no idea what had actually happened.

"What does that mean? That you've done so many things with her and want to know specifically what you were caught at?"

"No, Stori." Draco sighed and placed his hands on her shoulders. "I am not cheating on you. I would never do that. I haven't done anything with her that could be construed as cheating, so I'm confused." He really hoped this was true. "Tell me what Daphne saw."

Astoria regarded him and eventually sighed and went to sit on the couch. "She said she saw you two eating ice cream together in Diagon Alley last week."

Ice cream? In the winter?

"And I know that alone isn't a huge deal," she continued, "you're obviously allowed to eat ice cream with whoever you please. But, coupled with that strange dance you shared a few months ago and with how distant you've been lately..." She trailed off and Draco went to sit next to her on the couch.

He took a deep breath. He was annoyed with his future self. If this future Draco really was a different version of him, he thought he could count on him to be a little more discreet. Future Draco knew he had a girlfriend and Hermione still had a boyfriend in this time.

Granger! Stop calling her Hermione.

"Stori, I'm sorry. It really is nothing. I- I-" Draco was flipping through potential excuses in his mind. "I was apologizing to her. For, uh, the war, and how I treated her in school."

Astoria looked down at her hands and Draco waited for her to respond, but she remained silent.

"You believe me. Right? I'm not cheating."

She finally looked up at him and nodded. "I believe you. Uh – now that you've apologized, are you finished seeing her?"

Now it was Draco's turn to look away. He wanted to say yes, but knew he'd continue to time jump and his future self would undoubtedly continue to seek Granger out. If he really wanted to end this, he could find Granger right now and tell her what was going on, but for some reason Draco couldn't bring himself to do that. Not yet.

"Um, in the few times we've talked, we've become sort of – acquaintances. I might see her again – nothing romantic though, of course."

Astoria looked sad, but she nodded back at him and leaned her head against the couch. "Do you talk to her about the war?"

Draco nodded. At least now he was being honest. He had talked to Granger about the war, but technically, in this timeline, that night on the beach hadn't happened yet.

"You can talk to me about that stuff too, Draco." Astoria looked back at him, her dark brown eyes pleading.

Draco sighed and placed a hand on her leg. "I know. It's hard for me."