Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Reconsidering

Early on a Saturday morning, a week after Sigmund's tour tickets had went up for sale, there was a ringing of my doorbell that woke me up from my depressive slumber. My thirteenth birthday had been the day before and I'd spent it completely alone, as expected. My cousins had given me a call and sang to me over the phone, but that had been just about it on the festivities. It was a lonely feeling and I'd planned to sleep through the weekend, until this moment.

The doorbell had sounded like it was just about to explode with the way it was being pressed. I was outraged. Looking to the grandfather clock in my living room as I passed it, it was six 'o clock in the morning!

"Who on Earth?" I muttered as I pulled on my house slippers, tightened my robe to a close and exited my flat to look outside of the building. Opening the front door, my eyes fell on Fanboy and Chum Chum, the last two people on the planet that I'd want to see so early in the morning on my weekend.

"Are you MAD?!" I shouted. "It's six in the morning!"

"And you aren't dressed?" Fanboy gasped. "Don't you know what today is?"

"What do I care?! Did you know what yesterday was?!"

"Friday?"

"MY BIRTHDAY!"

"Oh..."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KYLE!" Chum Chum grinned, much to my displeasure. I frowned.

"Why are you two ninnies at my door?"

"Sigmund's meet and greet is today!" Fanboy told me. "Oz says there's already a bunch of people waiting for him at the comic book shop! We've gotta get going!"

"I told you already about a thousand times now, that I'm not going!"

"Oh c'mon, Kyle!" Fanboy whined. "We were really looking forward to you going with us!"

"Yeah!" Chum Chum nodded with a saddened pout. "It won't be the same without you!"

"Please, Kyle?"

"Pleeeeease?!"

"PLEEEEEEASE?!"

"ALRIGHT ALREADY!" I groaned in annoyance. It was too early for this noise. As I turned away, the boys followed behind me into the building. Before they stepped foot in my flat, I spun around quickly to halt them, pointing a stern finger. They jumped in response.

"I'm going to get changed and I need to brush my teeth. DO NOT touch anything in my living room! And I mean nothing! Don't lay a finger on anything! Got it?"

After they agreed with giddy nods, I sighed and finally let them in, regretting it instantly. They bolted from one end of the apartment to the other, pointing everything out. And although they didn't touch anything, they still found a way to annoy me.

"What's in that jar right there?"

"How many books do you have?"

"Can I see your closet?"

"Can I look inside the fridge?"

"Ooooh! You have expensive bubble bath!"

"Look at the tea collection! So many flavors!"

"OKAY, GET OUT! GET OUT!" I finally shouted, pushing them out. "Enough of this! Wait outside the building!"

I closed the door behind them and a deep sigh escaped me. I didn't want to go anywhere, truthfully. I'd considered it last week, but with the day already here, I was apprehensive about the entire event. My Necronomicon followed me to my bedroom and waited outside the door whilst I got changed.