Chapter Thirty-Six

Ziyad gather Heather into his arms and didn't care about protocol, stroking her back, pressing his lips on top of her head. The last thing he had expected. Doubting herself. He hadn't been worried about her visit with his mother, who had a warm and generous nature, yet had to live by palace protocol.

Also could make things happen. She sees what needed to be fixed for the better, letting the men think it was all about them. She didn't care as long as it got passed.

However, he didn't expect his beloved Heather, pressed up against him, face buried in his chest, fist against her lips, trembling. And it hadn't helped his time had been demanded by the palace. He had a lot to catch up with, being away for far too long.

Longer than normal. Even if away, he still had his duties to perform behind the scenes.

Another part of the deal that allows him to live his other life. He couldn't neglect his official duties to his country, even if his portfolio wasn't as large as his brothers, yet still time-consuming, worse since he had arrived back, trying to clear the backlog that he needed to do in person. People to see. And he couldn't share that part of his life with her at this stage.

Not like his movie life. He had shared everything, apart from the treats, trying to protect her. He had also been shielding her against what she needed to be. Perhaps that had been a mistake, waving across at Sasha, who was never far away from her.

In the shadows, watching.

In no time there was a car pulling up and he lowered her into the car, as large wary mocha eyes stared up at him. "I'm sorry. I should be stronger. How can I be any use to you, as a princess when I fail you?" That was ridiculous, so far from the truth.

"You never have or will," Ziyad said, closing the door, instructing the driver to leave and remove his phone, calling upon a friend. He needed to take her away from the palace. A reminder. Also, let his sister know as well the palace they had departed. 

Something he had to do so they could talk freely.

Heather reached for the seatbelt. "There is no need."

Heather looked up at him, surprised, then checked out that he wasn't using one either. "Why? I thought the law was for everyone."

"In case we need to exit quickly."

Eyes widening, she shifted closer to him. "Okay," came out in a tight voice. His arm went around her, keeping her safe at his side.

"And not restricted by such things." Peering up, she snuggled closer still.

Driving through the city, Ziyad pointed out sights, feeling her calming at his side, resting a hand on his leg, missing her touch, smiling at him. The panic in her eyes was waning.

Maybe it had been too much, wondering what his mother had said. Hopefully, nothing too serious. Or too demanding, glancing at Heather, who was drinking in the sights, realising it was the first time she had seen anything outside the palace, apart from the drive-in, which had been on the outskirts.

Instructing the driver to do the tour, so he could show off the sights and kept glancing at him with bright eyes and endless questions, showing a genuine interest in his home. This is what she needed, the real-life of his country. The palace one was a world of its own. One that could overwhelm one unless born into it.

His homeland was much more traditional than the city of Dubai which had sprouted out of the desert overnight. There's more of a mixture of traditional with a modern take on tradition as they grew, modernising infrastructure. 

Covering her hand, he squeezed. Taking a corner, they shifted with the car. "What if there is an accident?"

"An attack on the family outweighed the danger of that." Her eyes popped wider at him. "Not going to happen. Usually to do with one fighting for control. Our country has had no conflict for centuries. No infighting with family for power. It is nipped in the bud smartly if it rears its ugly head. We have strong leadership controlling that."