1 - The Stars and Him

The stars twinkled over your head, the moon shining its light amongst the dark night as it accompanied its fellow neighbours. The sight was always beautiful-breathtaking every single night that the clouds allowed you to see beyond them. The view was different every time, greeting you with a distinct gleam once the sun had fully set.

It mesmerised you, left you smiling and speechless as you gazed up at the shining stars that stared right back at you. It made you at peace. It made you feel safe and let you take a break from the world that moved too fast for your liking. You wanted to sit down and watch instead at times, tired of trying to catch up with it.

One of those moments were just then, where you sat, gazing up at the moon and stars that were left so far away, leaving them to be seen as nothing but twinkling specs. A warm, calming breath tickled the side of your neck as a comforting embrace held you close from behind. It all made your heart blossom and feel at home like nothing else.

That's all you needed. The stars and him.

"We'll get married." his voice was soft as he continued talking about the topic that had come up that time, the future.

"Oh?" you had asked, angling your head up from his shoulder to catch his gaze.

"Yup," his lips spread out into a smile while his fingers toyed with your own, his eyes glistening under the dark night. "I'll have a stable job, and we'll have three kids. I'll be there to take care of you throughout your pregnancies."

You gazed up at him with a grin, your heart warming as he spoke further about the future. Your future. The one that he saw you in, as much as you saw him. The future you couldn't pursue without him in it.

"And we'll travel all together around the world. I'll sneak you out onto dates when the kids are sleeping. And..."

He twisted his lips as he tried to think of anything else.

"And?" you asked.

"And we'll grow old together, having raised three kids and a happy family. How does that sound?"

"Beautiful." you answer, watching his smile grow wider.

"I can't wait." he muttered, pressing his lips to your temple.

"Neither can I."

If only it had turned out to be as you dreamed of it to be. They were all left in your fantasies of those days, but not these.

 They were all left in your fantasies of those days, but not these