19

After your revelation, you both lapsed into exhausted silence. Viktor, after another rummage through his cupboards, turned his attention to treating the bruise to your forehead. You tried to work on your theories about whether or not the attack was planned, but found it hard to focus on anything when he was so damn close.

He had moved himself to sit opposite you, and now applied some sort of medical concoction to the bruise on your  forehead. One of his hands carefully cupped your face to keep it still. His palm was cold, and you had to fight to repress a shiver.

You were trying to focus on anything but him - the wallpaper or the ceiling or the wood of the cabinets or your many, many thoughts - anything. You were failing.

After however many long, long minutes it took, you were simultaniously disappointed and relieved when he finally leaned back, done.

"Am I going to live, doc?" you asked, gingerly raising a hand to touch the bruise.

He lightheartedly swatted your hand away before it could make contact. "Refrain from touching the area until the medicines have set in."

"Noted."

"I recommend keeping your movements slow and undemanding," he said. "And preferably not getting beat up by Undercity drunks."

You feigned disappointment. "That's my weekend spoiled."

He laughed. The sound was a welcome change from the sombre air that had settled upon you two. Though it wasn't a particularly hilarious response, you found yourself laughing, too.

Neither of you heard the knock at the door. It came a second time

"Who's that?" you asked. The paranoid part of your mind kicked into action, spouting a million different and dangerous scenarios. Despite their unrealistic nature, you found a curl of worry settling in your stomach. You shoved those worries away, but whispers of stubborn tendrils still lingered.

"I'm not sure," Viktor said. By the slight crease between his brow, it seemed he shared your irrational thoughts. But before he could even stand up, to your utmost relief, Jayce Talis poked his head into the room.

There was a faint ashy outline of goggles imposed onto his face, as if he'd been victim to a failed experiment of some sorts.

"Hey, your door was unlocked," he said, ambling in. "Wasn't sure if your were in. Good job I'm not a thief - although I probably would've stolen an apple or something anyway. You should really remember to-"

His eyes shifted to Viktor, then you, then back to Viktor. He raised his eyebrows, grinning, and gestured behind him. "I'll be in the foyer. You two keep... yeah."

He flashed Viktor a very obvious thumbs-up and an encouraging grin, then disappeared.

Viktor groaned and put his head in his hands, while you resisted the urge to laugh.

"I do not know how he can be the same man who created revolutionary technology in his kitchen," he lamented.

"Maybe he has a twin."

He exhaled a short laugh. "Maybe." He stretched as he stood up, then grabbed his cane. "I'll be a moment."

You absentmindedly cast your gaze around the kitchen as you waited. The clock on the wall told you it was only an hour or so past midday. But it couldn't be, could it? Years seemed to have passed since you left your house that morning. So much - too much - had happened in only a few hours. You could barely process any of it.

Casting your mind away from the events of the morning, you fiddled with a loose thread on your top. It only succeeded in pulling even more thread loose, but you didn't notice. It kept your hands busy, away from interferring with either of your injuries.