Expect The Unexpected

Lazarus pov
After a while, I feel Elizabeth stir. Immediately I become alert and straighten my spine to look at her.

Ever so slowly her eyes open and she blinks, wincing at the light rays coming in from the window. I angle my self to block them.

She looks up at me and suddenly, even faster than a vampire, she hugs me. From the way her body was hugging me tight o knew she was crying. I sat down on the bed with her on my lap, rocking her back and fourth trying go get ber to calm down.

I know this must be a breaking point for her, it's like the third time she has been attacked like this. It's obvious she doesn't feel safe.

"Ssh.. Everything will be okay... I'm here... No one will ever had you" I said as I rocked her back and fourth. Her sobs hurt my heart. She was crying so bitterly. She looked so scared. She was clinging onto my shirt for dear life.

Finally her sobs began to to soften and she hiccuped. She looked up at me with red eyes, unshed tears still waiting to be shed.her hands were in fists holding the fabric of my shirt in then. My right hand was on her back and my left was on her hips while she was sitting sideways on my lap. I reached over on the bed stand for a water bottle and then handed it to her.

"Here, have some of this, it will help replenish some fluids in you. " I said and. She nodded. Slowly one of her hands unfurled. It was still shaking so I held the bottle while she took tiny sips of water.

"Elizabeth, what exactly happened? " I asked as I looked down at her.

"I was doing my chores when I heard a commotion in the tower. I went out to see what it was and suddenly I was stabbed and then someone big my neck. " She said softly, laying her head on my chest, her voice was soft but hoarse due to the crying.

I lightly push her away and see her immediately straighten up and wince. I began to look at her body for any other hidden injuries while she just rested her head on my shoulder, playing with the ends of my collar of my coat.

"Elizabeth, what would you like for lunch? " I ask as I settle her down next to me on the bed, so that she was in middle of the bed, with dozens of pillow surrounding her, making sure she is comfy and also with the blanket wrapped warmly around her.

"I'll make myself something" She replied softly beginning to stand up.

"No sweetheart, allow me. Tell me what would you like to eat" I said softly but sternly and watched her look up at me, sigh and then nod.

"A cold sandwich with some orange juice would be fine" She said and I nodded.

"I'll go and make you that, while you stay up here and rest. Don't worry about the attack. No one can hurt you now that I'm here. I'm so sorry for leaving you unprotected like that. You're my mate for crying out loud." I said and she looked up at me and blinked. Quickly I ran down stairs to the kitchen.

I took out the bread, Mayo, cucumber, carrot and lettuce along with pepper and salt before quickly shredding the cucumber carrot and lettuce into small threads, mixing it in the Mayo and cream cheese and adding a hint of pepper. I found some very good oranges in the fridge and took put the juicer and prepared the orange juice. Looking in the pantry I found some barbeque lays and placed some in a bowl and kept that I'm the tray as well. I looked around for something sweet and found a chocolate and placed that as well on the tray. Satisfied with the food spread, I whooshed upstairs balancing the tray.

I walked in and saw Elizabeth lost in her thoughts, sighing I kept the tray on the nightstand and placed one of my hands in her shoulder. She jerked into reality and looked over at me, her eyes wide open and her heart beat irregular.

"Sweet heart, are you okay? It's just me. Are you okay? " I asked softly sitting next to her

"That's the problem, it's you" She said softly

"Sorry sweetheart... I don't quite get you. How am I a problem? " I asked.

"When you found out I was your mate, you hated me , you treat me like I mean nothing to you and today, after the attack and after you returned from wherever you went... You're all soft with me. I don't understand why? It's all confusing, frustrating. It's like I'm suffering a whiplash and need clarity... I can't continue to function like this. I need to know what in the world of mystic realms is happening? I beg you Lazarus, please be honest... I can't take this anymore. " She said, her voice breaking at the end, tugging the strings in my heart I had no idea existed.

"Sweetheart.... (Sigh) .. I'm sorry... I'm sorry for treating you the way I have.its just that... I swear I always wanted a mate, someone I could love, someone who would love me, stick with me even if I'm a dickhead. Some one who would never get tired of me, someone I can wake up next to and smile when I see their face. It's just that... All my life I have hated humans, for some fo the terrible things they did years ago. When I found you in the human realm, and found out you're my mate, I was happy but angry.. Angry at the universe for giving me a human mate, someone I have learned to hate throughout my life. But then I took you in with me and the more I stayed with you, the more walls I had set up around me crumbled and I fell hard for you. Sweetheart... Please forgive me for all I did to you... I promise I won't ever repeat this in my life"I said, staring at her dead in the eyes.

She nodded softly before hugging me. I hugged her back before backing out, to hand her her food

"Thank you" She whispered and I smiled in response

She ate in silence, I saw a smile grace her lips when she noticed the chips in the side of her plate.

"You know your a good cook, master" She said
"Call me Lazarus or zari..or zar... You're my mate and I want us to be equals.. If we are turning a new leaf then I want to do it right" I said and she nodded

"Zar... Thank you " She said and I smiled as I took the plate and kept it on the nightstand.

"Zar  . You said you hate humans... Why is that? " She asked as her head rested on chest.

"Humans are the reason why my parents were killed. Early humans and vampires lived together, but then a group of humans wished us to wipe out of existence and a war started, my parents were killed by the group of hunters. " I said, my poster hardening at the memory of watching my family dying in front of my eyes.

She just nodded and then went quiet.

"Sweetheart... Why did you never object about how I treated you earlier... You never argued.. Nor put up a fight... You just went along with my demands, even if they were absurd and humiliating" I asked, stroking her hair.

"I deserved that.... " She whispered sitting straight

"No you didn't... Why would you say that? " I asked sitting up and staring at her.

"My parents were a part of the vampire hunting community and my great grandparents were the ones who killed the king and queen for the vampire realm... I assume they were your parents" She said with tear in her eyes.

My eyes widened, my chest felt constructed... Everything felt so suffocating.. This can't be true... It's a mistake. I look up at her and find her with tears in her eyes looking at the ground. Without saying a word I get up and storm out of the door, not willing to speak to anyone... I need some processing time.