Revenge or Forgiveness?

"Dang it," The boy got up from his seat as I put the chess pieces right. He had no chance since he started.
I played chess often, you could say, playing against people twice my age. There was almost no competition against me there at the school.

Sol, back after losing three times already, slid back in the chair.
"Black or white?" I asked, feeling pretty smug.

...

He lost ... again. Which served him right for acting the way he did.
Jayda sighed, grumbling. "Guys, isn't anyone else hungry or something?"
The others, now bored of losing, agreed with her. She put out her money, collecting any money that they gave. We were in Ms. Eli's yellow class again, and she didn't mind us playing chess in her class.

Sol said that he was leaving for home so someone had to go with him. Reluctantly, I said that I go with him and walked out, waiting.
The buildings that made up the school were all grey from the bare concrete, but the sun was shining bright on us. The last days of autumn.

"I'm sorry for how I've been acting these couple of months." We were outside of the school, walking on the sand in front of the houses.
"I don't really care anymore, you know. What happened, happened. It just proved something about you." We stopped in front of the tuckshop, Sol handled the actual buying and I picked the cool drink, turning for the school again.

"I just felt that it had to be said."
"Well, don't. Just tell me why you did that."
We waited in front of the school gate, waiting for it to open.

He handed me the pink soda and the other luxuries, making sure I can carry it on my own, then he adjusted his bag and turned to leave. That child, I nearly swore.

"Why don't you stay, Sol?" I asked him but he only smiled, and continued to walk away.