Friends Don't Look At Friends That Way

Run me in circles
Like you always do ...

We were back at school, the sun blazing above was at peek heat ... So of course they chose that day of all days to have Physical Education.

I know what you mean when you act like that
You don't know it's breaking my heart

The class was spread out onto the field of scratchy weeds, Coach Penny whistling loudly for our attention. I couldn't tell you why she wanted our attention though, I was too busy listening in on the girls about Tam-ikah having a twenty-seven-year-old boyfriend. Scandalous, I tell you.

We say we're friends but I'm catching you across the room

"Everyone, get into two lines! No arguments." There were many arguments — and cussing in the large crowd —  but everyone got into their  lines. The teacher called out the names and the chosen ones formed a circle.

Friends don't look at friends that way.

The coach was a short, thick woman in a blue tracksuit and hat to match. She was reminiscent of Coach from Supa Strikers, putting it simply.

You've got me addicted
And I can't tell who's keeping score

"Alright, who do we have here? Sol-eel and —"
"It's pronounced Sol-AY, coach."
"— Right. Solay and Am ... mar ... ris?
Close enough.

Everytime we talk, it just hurts so bad
Cos I don't even know what we are
I don't even know where to start
But I can play the part

We caught up with each other by the circle, ready to kick butt like a well-oiled machine.

"The game is Chair, Piggyback, Bride. One person will be the carrier and the other is called the package. The rules go as follows: when I say 'Chair', the carrier gets on one knee and and the package sits on that leg like a chair. When I say 'Piggyback', package gets on the carrier's back. Lastly, when I say 'Bride', carrier must hold the package in their arms, bridal style. Am I clear?"
"So, do you wanna be carrier or should I?" I asked.
"I'll be it."

Friends don't at friends that way

...

"Mikayla and Cameron, you're out!" The loud sound of the whistle meant it was the end of the round.
"Oh thank God."
"Thank God? Just wait, I'll let you meet him —" Mikayla looked like a red-faced bull.
Prrt! "Do five laps. Both of you."
Mikayla chased him halfway across the field, poor Cameron had the most terrified look on his face.

It makes no sense cos we're fighting over what we do

The screech of the whistle caught my attention.
"Piggyback!"
I hopped onto Soleil's back, hoping that he wouldn't fall. He didn't. His back was firm and his shoulders were broad. Honestly, I could get used to the view —

Friends don't look at friends that way

"CHAIR!" We scrambled around, packages getting seated on their carrier's knee. The coach came around, inspecting. Her eyes narrowed at us, zooming in. I hoped I wasn't too heavy.

She gave up. "Bride!"
Soleil held his arms out in front of him, having me to jump into them ...
I barely noticed that everyone was staring until I swung my arms around Soleil's neck.

Friends don't look at friends that way

I looked around, down and up, just to see Soleil's grinning face. There was nowhere to hide the red creeping into my cheeks. I looked up again, just to cheek if I was making it up. Nope. Higher? His kind eyes were back, right above his arrogant smirk.
I couldn't handle it anymore.

"You ... y-you ... You can put me down now." I slid out of his palms, finding the dirt so much more interesting.
I could hear the kissy noises and the mocking in the background.

"Sorry." Was the thing I sputtered after everyone else left. It was just Soleil and me.
He just gave me a cheery grin. "Don't worry about it."

I liked the way you look at me.

Us At Middayजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें