Chapter 3: Touch

Rey thrashed around in her bed, still asleep. She watched her parents run, their eyes wide with fear.
    "No," she cried out in her sleep. "Come back! Please..."
    "I'm here," said a voice. Rey bolted awake. A figure sat next to her on her bed, trying to calm her. She tried to scramble away, but she was too tangled up in the blankets. "Rey, Rey! It's okay."
    She paused, looking hard at the consoling face in the darkness, the source of the familiar voice. "...Han?"
    "It's me," he said. "Ben." He reached out softly to touch her shoulder when all of the sudden Rey was back at her house in Jakku. She jerked away gasping, the image disappearing as soon as she stopped touching him.
    "What was that?" she asked, falling backwards. "How did you get here?"
    Ben shook his head, nearly as confused as her. When he touched her just for the briefest instant, it was like he was there with her, wherever she was. "Where are you?"
    "I'm in my room. What-" she trailed off. Ben hadn't moved from his spot on the bed, sitting on the edge as if any moment he would leap off. He seemed almost afraid to touch her again, afraid the slightest movement would upset her.
Ben hesitation calmed Rey's nerves, but her heart still  beat quickly. She was suddenly very aware that it was just her and Ben alone in her hut, but this time, there was no Luke to interrupt them. She leaned forward towards him. "Give me your hand."

    Ben obeyed, relieved that she wasn't going to pull out her lightsaber or scold him for surprising her

Ben obeyed, relieved that she wasn't going to pull out her lightsaber or scold him for surprising her. As soon as they touched, the vision of her room flashed to him again. He could see the dim stone walls as the sun came up for yet another day. The circular hut was small, yet roomy considering it contained only a few items of furniture. Ben looked around the room in wonder, He could see both her surroundings and his as he held her small, strong hand.

 Ben looked around the room in wonder, He could see both her surroundings and his as he held her small, strong hand

Rey's hand tightened around his. She too could see his surroundings. "You're on Jakku," she murmured.
"I needed to see you," he said softly. He took her other hand. She stared back at him, surprised. "Tell me where you are. Please Rey. I have to talk to you." He had to apologize. Apologize for reminding her how her parents had sold her. For every time he'd hurt her. For making her wait.
She looked into his large brown eyes. Even though he was her enemy, even though he was the commander of the First Order, even though he'd betrayed Luke, she looked inside him and found only hope. She knew he would never again do anything to hurt her. She trusted him.
"Ach-To," she said. "I'm on Ach-To."
His shoulders slumped with relief. "Wait for me, Rey. I will come."
She gripped both of his large, calloused hands in hers. "I know you will," she whispered.