Chapter 9: Rescue

"Open fire!" someone shouted. Ben whirled around, deflecting blaster shots that threatened to hit him or Rey's prone body behind him. The troopers closed in, firing relentlessly. Ben crouched next to Rey to make himself a smaller target and ricochet a shot back towards its sender. Ben knew he couldn't protect both himself and Rey for much longer. Ben gritted his teeth and kept fighting.
    Suddenly the sound of much larger blaster shots filled the air. Ben ducked and shielded Rey as a ship fired on the Stormtroopers, killing nearly half. A familiar roar sounded as the ship circled back around for another shot. Ben and Stormtroopers alike craned their necks to see what ship it could possibly be.
    It was the Falcon! Occupied with shooting it down, the Stormtroopers paid no attention as Ben scooped up Rey and ran as fast as he could. The Falcon fired at Ben's TIE, the explosion killing the last of the unlucky Stormtroopers.

 The Falcon fired at Ben's TIE, the explosion killing the last of the unlucky Stormtroopers

    Ben, a safe distance away, checked on Rey while he waited for the ship to land. She was unconscious, but her wounds had stopped bleeding. Ben shook with relief and fatigue.
    Finn ran out of the Falcon and saw Ben holding Rey. "What the-?" Poe went round behind him, stopping as suddenly as Finn had.
    "Rey!"
    "Listen," Ben shouted. "I don't want any trouble. Rey's hurt. She needs to get to a medbay immediately."
    A third figure appeared behind the Resistance heroes, roaring loudly.

"    A third figure appeared behind the Resistance heroes, roaring loudly

    "Chewie," Ben said.
    Chewbacca looked nearly as shocked to see Ben as Ben was to see him. This was the first time Ben had seen his uncle since Han died, since Chewie shot him.
    The Wookiee saw Rey in his arms and growled softly.
    "Please," Ben looked at his old friend with tears in his eyes. "I know you don't trust me, but please, help her."
    Chewie paused, but nodded his head the slightest bit. He allowed Ben to carry Rey inside and to the medbay. After all these years, Ben found he still knew the inside of the Falcon like the back of his hand. He laid Rey on the bed and brushed her hair out of her face gently. At his touch her lashes flickered and she opened her eyes, disoriented.
    "It's okay," he said, taking her hand. "You're safe now. You're in the Falcon." Chewie set a furry hand on his shoulder, rumbling. It was time to go.
    "Wait," Rey said, still holding his hand. Ben knelt back down. "Come with us." Ben looked into her deep brown eyes. "Stay with me."
    "I can't," he whispered, letting go..
    "Ben-" she cried.
    "I know." And with a heavy heart, Ben left the ship.

END OF BOOK ONE