Chapter 20

•Dionne POV•

When I got home from the shop, I grabbed some snacks and headed straight to my room. Nobody else was home, but even when I heard them walk through the front door later in the night, I kept to myself. I was just sat on my own on my laptop, looking for something to occupy my time and my mind. When I pulled out the drinks from my bag, I thought about my encounter with Calum in the shop - after I made my excuses about what I was buying, I started really feeling weird about the truth. I guess keeping this to myself kept me from ever having to confront how embarrassing it would be to even consider sharing it with another person...

I didn't let that feeling stop me, though. I continued to drink and decided a good way to spend my time was by binge watching all the Marvel movies that I'd already seen before - which only reminded me of Calum again. Then I thought about how he was out at some girls birthday party - probably the same girl that he was sharing coffees and smiles with. I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous... Why would I even be jealous? I have no reason to be jealous, it's not like there's anything going on between us. So we'd made out, flirted and shared my bed... no big deal, right?

Even so, it's not like I knew anything was going on with Calum and this girl, who seemed really cool and was really pretty and on the receiving end of a pretty decent gift that I'd stupidly helped Calum choose... not that any of that matters.

It shouldn't matter. It doesn't. It's just the alcohol making me overthink... The whole point of doing this was to take my mind elsewhere - or barely think at all, ideally. I shook my head to myself, opening another drink, pressing play on the next Marvel movie and repeating that cycle until I eventually fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke up, it was around midday. I didn't feel as horrid as I thought I would - I guess I held back on the drink more than I realised. Or just fell asleep earlier than usual... either way, I woke up dehydrated and with an easily sorted headache.

When I pulled out my phone, I realised I had a few unread messages in my notifications. After around 2am, it looked like Calum had taken to Instagram and saw some posts that he thought I just had to see; I opened up our messages and saw that he had kind of spammed me throughout the night... he'd sent 6 different posts, varying from cute animals to Marvel content to funny text posts. He'd sent me regular messages between those posts too, too.

...
Calum: yo
Calum: look at this lmao
...
Calum: r u awake
Calum: no way ur asleep
Calum: it's only 2am smh
...
Calum: do u like pornstar martinis
Calum: so tasty m
Calum: lol m
...
Calum: y ar u asleep ugh
...
Calum: wtf it 4am
...
Calum: gdnjgjt xx

I couldn't help but giggle at the range of texts that Calum had sent over the span of about three hours - part of me was surprised that I hadn't heard my phone buzz in the night. Another part of me was a little disappointed that I'd fallen asleep before Calum's entertaining messages had started. I decided to message him back now, even if he was probably still asleep.

Dionne: well
Dionne: party went well, huh?

Sooner than expected, Calum had read that message... but he didn't reply with his own. Instead, I was taken off guard by the sight of my phone beginning to ring. My breath caught in my throat and I felt my heart stop for a moment, almost making me not want to answer the call. Of course, after a moments hesitation, I did it anyway.

"Uh... hey?" I croaked, clearing my throat when I realised I still had that awful morning - or, well, midday - voice.

"Sorry, I hate texting. Too much effort." He immediately said, making me raise my eyebrow in response.