The Surgery to Give Them a Baby

Start from the beginning

"Just a bit,"Emryn smirks, reaching her hand up to rest on his shoulder as he continues to comb his fingers through the hair above her ear as she rests her body completely on top of his. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"A-Anything,"Auggie responds immediately, tipping his chin down to press a kiss to the top of Emryn's head.

"I think...I think I want the surgery,"Emryn whispers, not daring to tip her head up to look at Auggie because she knows one look at his face would make her far too emotional.

It's been five months since Kaden's death. Five gut wrenching and debilitating months. 3650 hours of holding each other and sobbing when things got too rough. 3650 hours of things consistently being too rough. 219,000 minutes of fighting her addiction. 219,000 of almost failing at fighting her addiction. 13,140,000 seconds of being without Kaden. And an eternity to go.

They've known abut Emryn's misshaped uterus ever since their first miscarriage. Darcy was the one to catch it at their scan the day after their wedding, two days after their miscarriage, to make sure everything looked alright and the fetus' body was completely discharged from Emryn's body.

Emryn had no knowledge of her misshaped uterus seeing as the first time she ever got an ultrasound was the day she miscarried their first baby. She didn't have a single ultrasound when she was pregnant with Drew because she lived on the streets, so she had no way of knowing that she had this deformity.

Darcy had warned her and Auggie that this could've been the cause of the miscarriage, but there was really no way to fully know until she got pregnant again to see if that pregnancy was supported by her uterus or not. So, when they got pregnant again a few months later, even as relieved and excited as they were, it was still terrifying because it was a guessing game. Would this baby survive? Or could her uterus really not support life?

They found out that answer when she miscarried just a few weeks later. It was a gut punch, an absolute gut punch. The thought that it was true, her uterus really couldn't support a baby made bile raise in her throat.

They stayed quiet about it, of course, and for a while Darcy was the only person besides the two of them who knew about the deformity. Eventually, after a few more miscarriages, Emryn gained the strength to tell Harry and a few weeks after that she told Camryn, and from there it was a waterfall effect. Once the Styles siblings finally knew about Auggie and Emryn's fertility struggles, they decided to not hold anything back from them, so the deformity became common knowledge.

Multiple doctors were met with when they found out about the deformity, and all very cautiously suggested surgery. It could help, of course, but it could also cause even bigger problems. It didn't come without risks, as all surgeries do, but this was an even bigger risk. Sure she were infertile and had yet to be able to carry a baby past 19 weeks, but she still hung onto the hope of Drew. She'd carried him, surely that means she could do it again.

But if something in the surgery went wrong, it would be detrimental. It wouldn't be a minor fix and a few extra pain meds. No, if something went wrong it could result in a hysterectomy. If something went wrong she could lose the chance to ever carry one of their babies again.

That was the major reason why her and Auggie were so conflicted about the choice to make. They struggled with the word "infertile" when describing themselves because they could get pregnant. In fact, they got pregnant extremely easily, but keeping those babies, sustaining them, is their downfall. They can make them, they just can't get them to stick, and with a hysterectomy they wouldn't be able to even make them, let alone have the possibility of getting one to stick and grow.