Chapter 15

Ophelia relished the days she was able to play with Eri. She could forget everything she had going on for a while in those moments. The fact that her attempt turned into failure in more ways than one had her longing for the days she would see Eri's smile beam up at her. Ghosts were not her strong suit– they didn't listen for Hade's sake and bombarded the ritual she tried to perform. The only good thing– or bad, considering she didn't find what she wanted, was that none of the ghosts knew anything about anyone who could cross dimensions.

Ophelia showed her new plants and taught her what they could do and how to use them. Stories, however, became Eri's favorite. Ophelia told her how her mother was from Greece–which wasn't wrong–and how their religion differed from what Eri knew. The little girl begged to hear what Ophelia's religion was like, so she obliged. She left out how the Gods really acted and went with what most people would know. How they prayed to the Gods and made a sacrifice–Ophelia told Eri how they sacrificed food and not animals to appease them and what each one represented.

Most people picked Apollo because he was hot–literally, or because he was the God of Music and Archery, but not Eri. She loved the God of the Sun because he represented light. That light would take over after the darkest nights.

It worried Ophelia deep down that Eri was going through something so traumatic that she thought that way and yet could still put a smile on her face when she saw her. The happiest people usually smile the most to hide their grief, depression, anxiety, and despair. Ophelia knew all too well what smiles could hide–she did it herself.

Eri loved when Bakugo joined because there was never a quiet moment, and she loved to annoy him with the new nickname, boom-boom boy, which Ophelia loved. Bakugo did his usual routine of shouting and setting off explosions, but Ophelia could tell he wasn't that angry over the nickname. At least not with Eri. He just didn't seem to know how to handle kids that well.

It didn't help in the following weeks; Ophelia had to hide the apprehension that crept up. Nightmares were one thing, but a demigod dream was another. She didn't know what any of it meant, it came in fragments, yet the figure turned her veins to ice every time. Swirls of purple and black seemed to twist around the shrouded figure. Ophelia had all rationality to believe that they could cross dimensions at this point. She hoped there was someone with a quirk just like it, though. She would rather fight a mortal than them.

The calm before the storm. An unsettling feeling that Ophelia hoped wouldn't come. She wanted Eri to know she had something and someone to rely on if she ever needed it, also herself that Eri would be fine. Ophelia eventually divulged to Eri that she could talk to plants if she listened closely enough.

~~*———————————————*~~

Nico found himself in a nearly empty room, except for a little girl who sat on the end of a hospital bed and a man a few feet from her. Nico had no clue who the people in front of him could be. The only thing he knew for sure was that the little girl feared the man before her.

"Eri." The man with white gloves spoke, advancing on the little girl, who sat–trembling–on the hospital bed.

"What did I say would happen if you became too close to that girl?"

The girl whimpered in response, tears beginning to stream down her face. She clenched her eyes shut and gripped the beige dress she was wearing. The man moved closer, raising his hand and placing it on her cheek as if he was comforting her, but it had the opposite effect.

"Do I need to sho–"

"No!" She cried out, shaking her head. "Please don't!"

The man patted the girl's head; eyes narrowed with glee. "That's what I thought. You will not be seeing that Ophelia girl anymore. I would hate to pay her a visit if you decide to run off again."