Ten - My Valentine

"Che is so sweet to me."  Nicki cooed, hugging a pink and lavender, plush teddy bear that Che gave her for Valentine's Day.  I usually loved Valentine's Day.  I loved everything about the holiday.  From the sight of love to the romance to the gifts.  There were quite a few girls walking around school the entire day with their teddy bears, flowers of all kinds, and heart shaped boxes of candy.  This year I was one of the unfortunate ones who didn't get a damn thing.  Surprisingly, this was the first year Jabari didn't buy me a gift.  Not a card.  No flowers.  No trinket of any kind.  He didn't even tell me Valentine's Day.  I envied Nicki sometimes, because Che wasn't afraid to show his love for her.  He never cheated on her, and she didn't have to jump through hoops for his love and affection.
"So."  Nicki stuffed the bear into her designer backpack and then slid it on to her shoulder before shutting her locker.  "What did you get?"  She asked, scoping me for any signs of Valentine's Day paraphernalia as we walked down the empty hallway.
"Nothing."   Why did I tell her that? 
"Nothing?!"  Nicki's eyes went wide.  "You mean to tell me that asshole didn't even have the decency to buy you a Valentine's Day gift?  Not even a damn rose – nothing?!"
"It's cool Nicki. I'm not trippin'.  He told me he has a surprise for me tonight, so after practice I'm gonna hurry home and get ready for our date tonight and await my surprise.  Which reminds me – I let Zander drive my car home earlier today.  He claimed he wasn't feeling good or whatever. Can you give me a ride home after practice?"
"Yeah yeah.  I'm not coming to practice though."
"Why not?  You know I need your help going over these new cheers so the girls can get it down pat before the state competition in April."
"Well, I'm sorry my love.  I have a doctor's appointment to get to by 3:45 and I can't miss it.  I can come back and pick you up afterwards though."
"Alright Nicki.  You better answer the phone when I call you too."  I said, giving her a warning look.
"Oh girl, hush.  I will be back for you."  Nicki looked down at her pink and white diamond Hello Kitty watch.  "It's 3:15?  Shit, I gotta go.  Just call me and I'll be on my way." 
"See you later."  I said before walking into the gym.
Out of all fifteen girls that occupied the varsity squad, only six of them, including myself showed up for practice.  I scanned over my small crowd, anger bubbling in the pit of my belly.  The annual state cheerleading competition was in two months, and we needed to get as much practice in as we could.  Our squad has been titled state cheerleading champions the two years I had been captain and I wasn't about to lose that title.  Irritation took over after Jaslynne revealed that the girls who didn't come took it upon themselves to take the day off to be with their boyfriends for Valentine's Day.  Bitches.  After an hour of practicing gymnastics and a few new cheers, I decided to let practice out early.

"Nicki.  Where the hell are you?  I've called you seven times already.  I let practice out early today, and I'm ready to go.  I told you I needed you today, and as usual you forgot about me.  Call me back asap or get your ass up here, now!"  I yelled into the receiver at Nicki's voicemail.  I had called her back to back for an hour after practice let out while sitting in the front hallway by the main entrance of the school.  Pacing back and forth along the glass doors, I called Zander.  To no avail, he didn't answer his phone either.  After calling Jabari and getting sent straight to voicemail, I looked around and realized I was the only left in the school except for the janitors and one of the school counselors, Mrs. Rogers.
"Hey Ciara."  She greeted me with a smile.  Her brunette curls were pulled up into a bun and her cat eye frames sat at the tip of her nose as they always did.  "What are you still doing here?"
"Oh I'm just waiting for my friend Nicki to pick me up.  She should be on way her way."
"Are you sure you don't need a ride home?  I don't mind taking you."
"No ma'am.  I'm fine.  She should be here in a bit.  Thank you though."  I flashed a plausible smile.
"Alrighty.  Well, have a great weekend and Happy Valentine's Day to you."  Mrs. Rogers smiled.
"Thanks.  Same to you."   She pushed open the glass door, and walked out to the parking lot.
I called Nicki once more before giving up the attempts.  Thirty six degrees in the middle of February with snow ankle high, I sucked it up and decided to walk home.  Total bullshit.  I lived fifteen minutes away from the school, but walking in winter weather it was more like forty five minutes.  After trudging through the snow packed sidewalks, I approached Waterfall Terrace, a sub – division not far from my house.  As I made my way past the brick wall entrance, a pearl white Escalade drove past me with bass pounding so hard it made my insides vibrate. 
I paid it no mind, and continued my journey home.  I was six blocks away from my house before the Escalade passed me again.  I didn't pay it any mind until it did a u –turn and headed towards me.  Instantly, nervousness consumed me.  I held a tight grip on my backpack strap and picked up my pace.  I kept my eyes forward as the truck slowed next to me.  The passenger window rolled down. 
"Aye!"  A voice said from the vehicle.
"I'm not interested.  Please, leave me alone."  I simply said, still keeping my eyes forward.
"You're not interested in a ride?"  The young guy asked.
"No, now leave me the hell alone."
"Now we both know I can't do that.  It's my job to bother you."
I came to halt, whipping around only to be surprised.  There was his gorgeous caramel face, smiling at me with that damnable smile of his. 
"Oh it's you."  I said, feeling relief at the sight of Fire's face.  "I thought you were some creep messing with me."
"What?  You thought I was going to kidnap you or something?"  He put his gear shift in park.
"I don't know.  I don't doubt that you wouldn't try."  I deadpanned.  Fire chuckled, shaking his head.  Okay, so I gave him a little flirt.  He loved it.  "Nicki was supposed to pick me up after practice, but she wasn't answering her phone.  I couldn't reach anyone else, and I didn't want to sit up at the school alone.  I said forget it, and sucked it up and started footing it."
"See."  Fire sucked his teeth.  "If you had my number, you could've called me.  I would've been there to get you and you wouldn't have had to walk home."
I rolled my eyes, and glanced down the block then back at Fire.  Every time I looked him in his eyes, he kept me caught there.  He would put me into a hypnotic trance that was hard to break from.  Fire turned his engine off and stepped down out of his truck.  He walked over to me with his hands stuffed the pockets of his camouflage pants.  His red and white Certified Plus hoodie sweatshirt and white, black and gray retro four Jordans completed the ensemble.
"You want me to give you a ride home?"  He asked as he leaned back against his truck.
"Nah, that's okay."  I looked him up and down cautiously. 
"You sure?  It's beginning to get dark out here.  I can't have you walking home at night by yourself."
"I'm not going anywhere with you.  For all I know you could take me off, kill me, and leave me in a ditch somewhere."  I joked with a playful smile.
"Really Ciara?"  His face fell.  "You're really gonna brand me a rapist, serial killer?"
Shrugging my shoulders, I shot him a grin.  He was so adorable, even when he frowned.
"I'm joking Fire.  I don't need a ride though, I'll be fine.  I'm not too far from my house."
Who was I kidding?  I still had a ways to go before I got to my house.  Plus, I didn't want to take the chance of anyone seeing me with Fire, and it getting back to Jabari.  We were on good terms now and I didn't want to ruin that with something as small as a ride home from Fire Trevelyan.
"Alright, if you say so.  I guess I'll see you later then."  Fire walked back around to the driver side of his truck and got back in. 
What the fuck Ciara?  Its cold as shit out here and my thighs are burning from hiking up these steep ass hills.  Fuck it.
I walked up to the passenger side of Fire's truck and knocked on the window. 
"What's up?"  He asked after rolling the window down.  He leaned forward a bit to turn his radio down.  I stood in the window, and gazed at him for a moment as I bit down on the insides of my cheeks.
"You'll take me straight home?" 
He smiled, shaking his head at my paranoia.  "Yes Ciara, I'll take you straight home."
"Okay."  I peered at him.  He climbed down out of his truck and walked around to my side. 
"What are you doing?  Aren't you taking me home?"  I asked with a perplexed expression.
"Yeah."  He responded, reaching for the door handle, opening the door for me.  I stared at him for a moment in mild disbelief.  I had never met a guy in my age bracket that was chivalrous or even knew what it was. 
"Thank you."  I drawled, still peering at him.
"You're welcome.  And for future reference, when you're around me, you don't open doors.  I'll do it for you."  He stated before shutting my door.  My eyes followed him.   Who is this dude?  There has to be something wrong with him.  There is absolutely nobody in the world this perfect.
Fire started up the engine, put the gear in drive, and took us on our way.  The ride home was silent with the exception of me giving him directions.  After a few minutes of us playing eye tag, Fire broke the silence.
"So, what are your plans for tonight?"  He glanced back and forth between me and the road, driving with one hand.
"Jabari's taking me to dinner and a movie.  After that, I have no clue what we're doing."  I said as I looked out the window.
"Dinner and a movie?  That's it?"  Fire questioned, grimacing.
"Yeah. What's wrong with dinner and a movie?"
"Nothing – If you like that lame sort of thing.  He couldn't think of anything better for y'all to do?"
I paused, scowling at him.  "For your information, he has other stuff planned for us, I just don't know what.  He just said he had a surprise later."  I lied.  I was lying my ass off.  Jabari hadn't mentioned Valentine's Day or plans for it at all.  I had to save him face.  I couldn't let him look bad to everyone, because then I would have to hear one thousand and one reasons why I needed to break up with him.
"I'm sorry if I offended you love.  It's just that your plans sound a little simple and boring as hell.  I'm sure you two have had plenty of dinner and movie dates.  Today should be special – for you anyway."
"Well."  I sighed, flipping my hair over my shoulder.  "Maybe I like simple and boring."
"That's apparent."  He bit back, glancing over at me.
"So what lucky little thot pocket gets the pleasure of screwing you tonight?  I'm sure you have a lot of erotic, freak nasty shit planned."  I snapped, pointing to the street he needed to turn on to get to my house.
Fire laughed, turning his steering wheel.  "I don't mess with thots or rats or anything in the category."
"Well.  What do you have planned for you and your girl?"  I asked.  Truthfully, I wanted to know if he had a girl.
Fire paused, flicking his eyes to me.  "What makes you think I have a girl?"
"Guys like you always have a girl.  You probably have a harem of girls flocking like pigeons to you."  I remarked.  Fire let out husky laugh.
"That's what you think, huh?"
I shrugged my shoulders.
"Contrary to what you believe, I don't mess with a lot of females.  Not on a serious level anyway.  I have my fair share of admirers, but that doesn't mean I want every girl that wants me.  Besides, if I had a girl, why would I keep trying to get at you?"
"Just because you try to talk to me doesn't mean anything.  A guy could have the greatest girl in the world and would still cheat on her with the most ratchet, most gutter chick he can find."
"I don't know who all you've dealt with babes, but I'm not that type.  When I'm with a girl, I'm with her and only her."  Fire looked over at me, licking his lips.  "But if I did have a girl, I would spoil her on Valentine's Day.  Hell, everyday really.  I would give her more than a dinner and a movie date."
"Oh really?" 
"Really."
"And what would you do for her?"  I asked, giving him my undivided attention.
"Well, first off I would take her to dinner, but I would turn it up a notch.  Maybe close down Fogo De Chao on the Plaza or The American Restaurant at Crown Center just for me and her.  I would give her a bouquet of Arabian roses and diamonds for her ears, fingers, and neck.  Some pink diamonds and maybe even a new ride.  We would sip on some of the finest champagne, and eat exotic fruits from places most people can't even pronounce.  After dinner, I would run her a hot, bubbly bath, layered with pink rose petals.  I'd let her soak for a bit, and then bathe her from head to toe.  After that, I'd give her full body massage with warm essential oils from the temples of her head to the soles of her feet.  Then I would turn her over, and give her Fire's foreplay."
"Fire's foreplay?"  I asked.  I tried not to show how much his idea of romance intrigued me.  But the shit had me clenching my thighs.
"Oh yes.  My foreplay is exclusive.  Then once I give her my ultimate foreplay, I would slide inside of her and make slow, sweet love to her.  Sex so good it'd bring her to tears.  I've only done my foreplay with three females.  They lost their minds over it, and I couldn't get them to fall back after that.  One of them even threatened to kill herself if I didn't agree to be with her."
"You're lying."  I twisted my lips.  Suicide over some dick?  Yeah right.
"I'm not lying at all."  He simply said with a straight face.  "Her parents had to take her to therapy and she was put on anti-depressants.  They called my phone after it happened and told me to stay the hell away from her.  I haven't talk to her since."
"That's crazy.  I would never be that way over a guy."
"Never say never."  Fire caressed my cheek with his finger, sending chills down my body.  His touch gave me butterflies.  I bit my lip in deep reverie of what it would be like to feel Fire inside of me.  The thought alone made my sex throb with anticipation.
"But I don't have a girl special enough to do all of those things for, so I can't do anything but dream about it."
My cell phone rang from inside of my purse, pulling out of my trance.  I pulled out my phone and saw Melanie's name flashing across my screen.  I pushed ignore before tossing my phone back into my purse. 
"That's my house right there."  I pointed to the all vast, brick house to the right of us.  Fire pulled in front of our house, and put the truck in park.
"Well."  I sighed.  "Thanks for the ride.  I appreciate it."
"No problem.  I just wanted you to get home alright."
I gazed at Fire for a moment.  "I'll see you at school on Monday."  I reached for the door handle.
"Hold up." He said, gently gripping the inside my thigh.  I looked down at his hand then up at him.  The flutters in my stomach were out of control.  Fire acted as if his actions had no effect on me, but he knew exactly what he was doing to me.
"What is it?"  I asked, pushing his hand off of my thigh.  He grinned. 
"So, what are your plans if you and Jabari don't go out tonight?"
"I don't know.  I hadn't thought about that."  There isn't much to think about, because I didn't have any damn plans in the first place.  "Why?"
Fire's shoulders jerked.  "Just wondering.  I don't have anything planned for tonight.  I thought maybe if you didn't end up doing anything, you'd like to hang out with me.  I mean, I don't know if I can compete with dinner and a movie, but I'm sure I could put something together for us.  I think we'd have fun."
Fire's offer was tempting.  He was so unpredictable so there's no telling what he would come up with.  Everything in me wanted to say fuck it, and jump on it.  But thoughts of Jabari finding out and whooping my ass snapped me back into reality.
I shook my head as if I had been defeated.  "No.  I'll pass this time.  You have a good night though."  I opened the door and stepped down out of the truck.
"Thanks again." 
"You're welcome babes."  Fire winked at me.  I gave a half grin before closing his door.  He waited until I reached my front porch before driving off down the block.