Eighteen: Bull

Dustin

"You know," I start, tilting my head up to Blade who is busy putting away books. "You're the first person I've met who can rival my stubbornness." As usual she doesn't respond, at least not obviously. Her eyes dart down to me for a split second and would have gone by unnoticed by most. But not me. I always notice.

More than people give me credit for.

Most people would have been fed up with Blade by now. They would have given up on her; unimpressed by her sadness passed off as indifference.

But for some reason I can't. At first I couldn't understand why I was so drawn to her. Why I insisted on pushing through her silence and cracking her hard shell. But I think I'm beginning to figure out why.

But damn she's stubborn.

Good thing I am too.

I smile to myself, continuing on, not sure where I'm going with this. "My mom used to call me Little Bull since I apparently was as stubborn as one. I would sit at the table for hours in refusal to go to sleep. Insisting I wasn't tired even though I yawned every five seconds. A lot of people saw a hard headed, rude child but my mom saw a broken boy who was afraid of the dark." I turn my gaze to her. "I think you're the same way."

She gives me a quizzical look.

"I want to be your friend, Blade. But I understand why you'd be skeptical of that. It's obvious you've been through some shit, so trusting isn't easy. I've been there, but I want you to know you can trust me."

Her expression turns soft, and for the first time she lets me see it. She doesn't hide it.

The moment doesn't last long and she quickly schools her face into a neutral expression.

I don't feel discouraged.

I stand up from the ground, dusting myself off. "Are you free later?" She doesn't respond as I expect. "I'll pick you up after your shift." I salute her comically before leaving the bookstore.

My parents had given me a list of errands to do so I select a song before driving off to do the first thing on the list.

****
As promised, I'm waiting for Blade outside the bookstore. She comes out, surprise painting her face when she sees me. A woman with short cropped hair comes from upstairs with a baby and passes her to Blade.

They sign to each other what I assume is goodbye and Blade trudges over to me, gazing at me through the window.

"Hi," I say with a goofy grin, leaning over to open the door "Who's this cutie pie?"

Blade looks almost upset. Oh...

"Well, are you gonna get in?"

She looks at me skeptically, and I don't blame her. I'm a wild card. I'm guessing she doesn't like that much.

"I promise I don't bite."

She stand outside the car door, shifting the baby who is staring at me with wide eyes.

"You coming? Cause I'm going on this adventure with or without you."