Thirteen: Itch

It was a long day. Well most days are, but Mondays usually suck, and today I decided to indulge myself and go to the park instead of rushing to the house. I just need a moment from Melissa ans Faith so I take an hour for myself.

It's a nice day. Sunny and blue. There aren't many people out which means people watching won't be as fun. The wind blows softly, allowing subtle serenity to creep in. I sigh deeply, managing to quiet my mind for a few moments.

I wish this feeling could last. Just being fully present and not getting pulled apart by dark thoughts and painful memories. My mind only occupied by the feeling of a gentle breeze. I lean back on the bench, closing my eyes as the rays of sunlight caress my face. The warmth feels good.

"Hi, Blade."

My eyes snap open and I sit up abruptly from being startled. Standing in front of me with a sheepish grin is Dustin. On a leash is the golden ball of fur who I came to know as Dorito many weeks ago.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

Dorito peers at me curiously, wagging his tail as he sniffs my shoes.

"I almost punched someone for this drink, Dustin." I hear someone say. Coming from behind Dustin is a beautiful brown skin girl with wildly curly hair holding two drinks. She aggressively hands them to Dustin and takes the leash from his hand. "The barista was a total asshole and perv. Kept looking at my chest. Gross."

"Want me to kick his ass?" Dustin asks, his voice turning more threatening as he gave the girl his full attention.

"Nope. You've gotten into enough trouble for punching people- oh hi." Her attention turns to me. "Who are you?"

"Her name is Blade."

"God, you're such a boy speaking for girls. Let her talk." She flicks his head, turning to me with a smile. "I'm Miriam. Sorry for the misfortune of meeting my brother. He has ear wax for brains."

"Gee, thanks."

She blows him a dramatized kiss before taking her drink and sitting next to me. Aside from their similarity in skin complexion-- Dustin is slightly darker-- and curly hair, they didn't look that much alike.

"So Blade. What's your story? Sick name by the way. Is it your birthname or nick name?"

I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the line of questioning but also intrigued. Miriam is a spitfire and a force. That much is obvious so far in our encounter.

"Chill, Miriam. Let the girl breathe." Dustin unhooked Dorito from his leash and the dog ran off.

Miriam breathed a laugh. "Sorry. I can be a lot. I forget not everyone is as open and talkative as I am."

I don't say anything.

"You're very quiet. Actually, you haven't said one word since I got here. Wow. I wish I could do that. Even for a second. Mom always says I love the sound of my own voice."

Dustin has a look of... is that embarrassment? The brown skinned boy cleared his throat." Um, Miriam."

His sister pauses her rambling and turns to him. "Yes, brother?"

"Blade is um.. she's mute."

"Mute?" She looks confused for second before understanding settles on her face and she turns to me. "Wow. I'm so sorry! Here I am rattling a bunch of questions of to you. I'm still interested in the answer by the way. Maybe you can write me an essay about yourself." She winks at me before standing up. "Well, that's enough of me putting my foot in my mouth. I'll leave you two to it and give Dorito some attention. He's been sitting there with puppy dog eyes. Lovely meeting you Blade." She gives me a big smile before walking off.