misty - sodapop curtis

summary: "i can't understand-- i get misty, just holding your hand...i'm too misty, and too much in love."

word count: 1017

a/n: haven't updated in awhile, enjoy <3

_________

everyone had always assumed soda curtis was her soulmate. 

y/n didn't believe in this. she didn't like even the thought of entertaining the idea for fear that her hopes of them being more than friends would be crushed. so everyday, whenever soda did something that he didn't do for anyone else, she'd still remind herself that nothing would happen. 

however, there was virtually nothing sodapop wouldn't do for y/n. whenever she visited, they'd always be inseparable, practically attached at the hip. soda liked the way she leaned on his shoulder before falling asleep or whenever he needed comfort, he'd always have her hand to hold. there was a never day where he didn't bring her breakfast in the morning or gave her a compliment that would absolutely make her day. every time he saw how stressed y/n was from the endless work she had, soda would press a kiss to her head, assuring her that everything would be okay. despite how small the gestures were, it meant so much more to her. 

while soda was notoriously known to be a flirt, he'd never do anything that he did with y/n with anyone else. he couldn't imagine anyone else taking her place. while y/n knew this, she stuck to the assumption that they'd always be friends. he'd always listen to her, no matter how small or irrelevant it was. the same went on for her-- she could listen to him babble on for hours-- even when it came to things she hardly knew or cared about. as long as he was talking to her. 

y/n remembered the day when the boys had decided to go out for the night once everyone was off of work and school. behind everyone and their scattered conversations, she has struggled all night with the dress she was wearing. it'd been the time of summer in which tulsa hasn't been cold in nearly a month. she constantly made attempts to fix the neckline of her dress and sodapop noticed. 

"here," he stopped her in her tracks as the group went over to another place. gently, he readjusted the sleeves of her dress and let his hands rest on her shoulders. "there, now you can stop fidgeting around and finally enjoy the night," he teased, earning an overly exaggerated look of annoyance from her. 

"sorry," she replied, "i just didn't like how it didn't fit right." y/n  noticed his hand still resting on her shoulder and she blushed before her eyes fixated back onto his. 

"don't say that. i don't know if anyone told you but you look beautiful tonight. you always do." a smile adorned her features before they started walking off, his arm wrapped around her shoulder. but during that night, what he had said was the only thing she could think of. 

she told darrel about everything. she loved the rest of the boys but she knew they were bound to slip up at one point. he didn't even show the slightest amount of surprise on his face. instead, he only let a small laugh escape from his lips. 

"i was waiting for one of you to say something." 

"'one of you'?" her eyes widened, "am i that obvious--" 

"even if you were,  you and soda are far too oblivious. i've seen the way you guys look at each other for the past several months and not one of you said anything to each other. and everyone sees it, i'm not crazy." she smiled, relieved that she wasn't the only one who had an inkling about sodapop feeling the same. she was finally going to tell him. 

__

"there you are, where've you been? i was looking everywhere for you," he said, emerging from the her front door. 

"looks like someone missed me," she joked, "what did you wanna tell me?" 

she noticed the smile on his face, like he was unable to control it. 

"well," he bit his lip-- something he only did when he was a bit nervous-- "i met someone." 

her mood had noticeably changed. her smile dropped. 

"it's sandy-- the girl we kinda see around school and it's almost been three weeks since we've started talking. you're the first one i told so far and i know i should've told everyone-- especially you-- but i don't know, i just wanted to make sure it was working out, you know." 

she didn't even care who she was, what she looked like. the pang in her chest had drowned out anything soda was saying. it was becoming too hard to hold back any tears. it wasn't her who made him smile all the time. it wasn't her who he was thinking about. she wasn't the reason why sodapop was so lovesick. 

he had finally noticed the change in her demeanor and he stopped mid-sentence.  

"what's wrong? are you okay?" he reached out to grasp her arm but in retaliation, y/n back away from his touch. for the briefest moment, she let her gaze fixate on his until she broke eye contact, looking down. 

there was so much she wanted to say. why don't you realize i'm in love with you?  you're the only one who's made me feel this way. but she stopped herself. she wasn't going to ruin a friendship to selfishly satisfy her own needs. she loved soda, yes. but he was her best friend first. 

"yeah, um i think you're gonna have to go for tonight. i don't feel well and if it's something i caught, i don't want you getting sick either." 

"are you sure? i can stay if you want. if you caught something, then i most likely did too anyways--" 

"i'm fine," she interjected as became more assertive. she just wanted this nightmare to be over.

without any more words besides a muttered good night, he left, confused more than ever. 

she closed the door, finally letting the tears she so desperately held in, a silent sob escaping. while he was talking to sandy, she was left alone, surrounded by her own despair. 

everyone thought soda was her soulmate. but she knew she wasn't his.