Chapter 58 (Part 2/2)

Myungsuk clutched his backpack straps as he hid behind Insoo, forcing himself to only focus on Insoo's scent. Mr. Cheung glared at them from the bottom of the stairs, Myungsuk staring at the way he cracked his knuckles. "Who is that?" Mr. Cheung asked through gritted teeth.

"No one, just a friend," Insoo said, avoiding eye contact. "He's just leaving" Insoo stepped down, but his father didn't budge.

"A friend? Who's an omega?" Mr. Cheung tsked.

"Can't we talk about this later?" he asked calmly, despite his hands shaking. He turned to Myungsuk, holding his hand out. "Come on."

"I'm talking to you!" Mr. Cheung grabbed Insoo's collar, pulling him down the last three steps. Myungsuk shrieked and slapped his hands over his mouth. "What makes you think you can bring an omega into this house?" Mr. Cheung snarled.

Insoo stumbled to his feet, grabbing his father's wrist, struggling to pull them off. "Dad. Just– please!" Insoo pleaded.

Mr. Cheung tightened his grip. "How dare you sneak behind my back and bring an omega into this house?"

Myungsuk trembled, his ears ringing. Stop.

"I've told you a million times they're nothing but trouble."

"Don't! Dad!" Insoo struggled to break free.

Myunguk's body buzzed and moved on its own. Stop.

"You stupid child!" Mr. Cheung raised one hand in a fist and–

"Stop!" Myungsuk screamed, shoving Mr. Cheung off of Insoo.

Mr. Cheung stumbled back and Myungsuk gaped, as he stared wide-eyed at him. But a split second later, Insoo grabbed his hand and ran to the door as Mr. Cheung's face morphed back into a terrifying snarl. "Why you–"

Myungsuk stumbled to scoop up his shoes as Insoo pushed the door open, the ringing in his ears growing louder and shrill. As he lifted his head, Mr. Cheung grabbed his backpack and violently pulled him back. "No!" Myungsuk yelped, paralyzed by the crushing pheromones.

Insoo grabbed Myungsuk's sweater and pulled him towards him. Myungsuk's arms slipped out of the straps and without a second thought, they bolted out the door.

Myungsuk ran behind Insoo, his heart pounding in his ears, the distant yells of Insoo's father muffled by the gusting wind. Myungsuk's head was about to explode. Insoo fumbled to grab his hand and squeezed.

They ran and ran, his feet pounded against the cold pavement, Each step piercing his soles. They ran until Myungsuk's knees buckled and they were no longer surrounded by rows of soulless houses. Stumbling into a bus stop, Myungsuk dropped onto the bench, heaving. Insoo dropped beside him. Their laboured breathing filled the silence.

The static buzzed in Myungsuk's head at a troubling frequency. His nose still stung with the thick alpha pheromones that made his teeth ache. He squeezed his eyes shut and pressed his free hand against his chest.

Insoo hung his head and sighed heavily. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Myungsuk blinked and shook his head frantically. "No, I'm sorry," he said. Myungsuk cupped Insoo's cheeks, sucking in his breath when loose tears flowed down his face. Myungsuk's gut twisted. "I should have left before he came home."

Insoo sniffled and nuzzled Myungsuk's palm. "You didn't know that. It's not your fault," he muttered. "Come on, let's put our shoes on. It's cold."

Nodding, Myungsuk hesitantly slipped his sneakers on, counting in inhales and counting down his exhales.