Chapter 42

Taeyong hummed as he stretched his legs past the doorway, the cool night breeze soothing his swollen feet. He pierced the last apple slice and held it over his shoulder. "Eat more."

"Are you sure?" Daehyun asked, brushing his thumb over Taeyong's belly.

Taeyong nodded. "I'm full," he whispered.

With a nod, Daehyun ate the last slice, smiling at its satisfying crunch.

"Do you want more?" Eomma asked as Taeyong stretched out his arm, pushing the empty plate onto the low table. When Taeyong shook his head, she picked up her cutting board, leaned over and dumped the cut fruit into Seunghyeon's plate.

"Eomma!" Seunghyeon yelled.

Eomma smacked his hand away. "Eat, it's good for you."

Seunghyeon grumbled and twisted around, pouting at Taeyong. "Take some."

"No way." Taeyong shook his head and tilted his chin back to Appa.

Seunghyeon whipped around and scooted his plate towards Appa, who was busy brushing his fingers through Myungsuk's hair, as Myungsuk nibbled on a strawberry. "Can you eat mine?"

Appa glanced down at the mountain of fruit and chuckled. "Okay. Only because I don't want you to turn into an apple."

Fondly rolling his eyes, Seunghyeon fell back onto the floor and rolled on his stomach.

Myungsuk grumbled and shoved Seunghyeon's legs away. "Move your feet."

"Urgh, okay, okay." With minimal effort, Seunghyeon pivoted his feet to face Eomma, stretching out in front of the open doors. They stared out at their small courtyard, concealed by their wrap-around home. Even with repairs over the years, it was still exactly the same as the day their grandfather built it.

"You can smell the fields," Seunghyeon said, taking a deep breath.

Taeyong chuckled and leaned back against Daehyun's chest. "Yeah," he breathed out.

Closing his eyes, Taeyong focused on the breeze on his face and Daehyun's warm hands on his belly instead of the dull ache in his back and his damp forehead. Even sitting down made his heart race. At least the baby was finally settled and not kicking every two minutes.

Daehyun leaned down, kissing Taeyong's temple. "How are you feeling?" Daehyun whispered.

Cracking a smile, Taeyong tilted his head. "A little sore. I think we walked too much today."

Daehyun hummed. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I knew it would be a lot."

Taeyong shook his head. "No, it's okay," he said, placing his hand over Daehyun's. Every year they visited his mother's grave, along with their grandparents. "I'm not going to complain just because I'm pregnant."

Daehyun nodded and rested his forehead against Taeyong's. "We'll rest tomorrow then."

"Just tomorrow?" Taeyong asked. He leaned back and took a deep breath. Ever since the outburst at the baby shower, everyone had essentially cut him off. At first, it was devastating. He had spent the first few days here locked up in his room trying to fix things. Especially with Jaejin.

But today, the walk through the town, reminiscing his childhood, filled him with a desire to bring it back to the city. To reduce his stress and focus more on being there for his family. Though, that's harder said than done.

"Chanri texted me the invite for her fashion show," Taeyong mumbled, fidgeting with the hem of Daehyun's shirt that he was wearing.

"And you don't want to go?" Daehyun hummed.