Chapter 21 - Officiant

Start from the beginning

"I always carry more equipment than requested. People rarely give me good measurements, your team being one of the few exceptions. And you never know when something will break or I find an area is too dark and needs more spotlights. I also have Christmas lights for decorating ugly bushes, and so on. Why?"

"I'm desperate and have an idea, but I'm not sure if it will work. Do you have colored filters for the spotlights? Purple, by any chance?"

"Yeah, I have that. People are not happy anymore with the basics, so I bought every freaking color in the rainbow."

I'm blown away by Thomas' idea when he explains the shortage of purple tablecloths. Marcos gives him a wicked smile when he understands the proposed solution. We dress three tables on the side with the white tablecloths and when Marcos is done setting the lights and working his magic, they look as lavender as the rest. We have averted this crisis with some creativity, but the rental company will hear from us and we won't be nice.

Amber brings in the centerpieces and starts adding them to the tables. The caterer sets place settings and Didier brings a box we got from the bride that should contain candle holders. When I open the box, I find the tackiest candle holders spray painted in gold.

"They are different. I mean, I was expecting all to be the same style," Didier inspects one that has a cherub on the base while the one in my hand has a moon. "I don't even think we have even numbers."

"Is this all we got? We didn't leave boxes at the office?"

"This is all Lilah dropped yesterday. I feel guilty for not opening the boxes during that moment to check what she wants to do with them."

"Don't worry. This was a last minute request and we couldn't have known. Let's try to mix them on each table and see how far we get," I hold one with roses and see the one under it has something that looks like a crown.

"What the fuck is that?"

Thomas stares at the candle holders with a horrified face.

"And this is why accommodating last minute requests is always so risky!" He combs his hair with his fingers in frustration.

"I don't even have even numbers to make all tables the same. I'm going to mix it up and hope for the best."

"Okay... Okay... If people ask about them, we will tell them it's that 'chic shack' fashion thing you were telling me about the other day."

The combination of the stress and the realization that Thomas is just a guy after all is too much and a giggle turns into hysterical laughter.

"What? What the hell is so funny?" He frowns.

"It's not 'chic shack'... It's called 'shabby chic'..." My words come out between fits of laughter and the guys join me.

We make our best efforts and the reception venue looks very 'shabby chic' when we are done. Satisfied with our work, we change into our dressy clothes and head to the ceremony venue to receive the bridal party and the guests. Thomas frowns while looking at his tablet where he has been ticking off the tasks done.

"Are you okay? What's going on?" I come closer to him and look at the open tasks.

"The officiant is not here."

"Did we hire that person?"

"We didn't, the couple did. They know someone who works as a stand-up comedian and does weddings as well. I searched for him because I've never heard of him before. The website was quite basic and only said he specializes in out of the ordinary weddings."

William comes closer and whispers something in Thomas' ear while keeping a forced smile. Thomas hurries away.

"What happened, Will?" I whisper to him.

"The comedian had a show last night and got wasted. Didn't make it to the airport. We don't have an officiant."

"No shit... Let me check with Thomas what can we do about it."

Will returns to the entrance to escort guests to their seat and I head to the dressing room where I find Thomas comforting a bride on the brink of panic.

"Don't cry, you will ruin your makeup and that is too expensive to mess up. We can fix this. Here, have a drink," he hands her a glass of champagne and a tissue.

"But the ceremony starts in fifteen minutes. Where will you find an officiant so quick?" She hiccups and her maid of honor forces her to drink the champagne.

"I'm an ordained minister. I will perform your wedding ceremony," Thomas says with a reassuring smile.

"Thomas, can we talk?" I say to my brother. What the hell did he just promise?

"Clean up those tears, Lilah. You are getting married today!"

We walk out of the room, and when we are out of earshot, I grab Thomas by his arm.

"Have you gone fucking mad? What is this ordained minister nonsense?"

"Hey, watch your language!"

"You have not answered my question!"

"A few months ago, I placed an online request, paid the fee and two weeks later got a certificate that says I'm allowed to perform wedding ceremonies. Never thought I would use it, but it's one of those things that might come handy. It's completely legal, and it's paying off because it will save us the pain of finding somebody else. I'm already wearing black, so I totally look the part right now."

Thomas heads to his car to get the set he got with documents to prepare a wedding. In the next fifteen minutes, he'll have to do a deep dive. I'm shocked because my brother always seems to have a trick card under his sleeve. After knowing him for 28 years, he never stops surprising me.