Chapter 6

TW: Addiction and Abuse

I sat across the kitchen island from Eric, waiting for him to speak, to explain. I'm not sure why I'm even giving him this chance. He betrayed me, but before that, he was the best friend that I loved. I need to know how he became like this. 

"Are you going to say something?" I asked. 

"Do you remember why I became a cop?" He asked. 

"Because of your mom." I stated. 

Eric never talked much about his childhood. I knew about it but I never brought it up. His past was far too painful. Eric's dad was an addict and abusive. I don't know many details but one night, his dad took things too far so 13 year old Eric called the police. When the police arrived,  Eric's mom was barely alive, the police arrested Eric's dad. Eric's dad managed to avoid arrest because he flipped on many local dealers in their neighbourhood. Mrs. Tomson begged the police to put her and Eric under police protection but they refused. Eric's dad ended up coming back a few nights later and killing his mom. Ever since then he's wanted to be the good cop that would've helped him or his mother. Thats partially why Eric being a dirty cop is so baffling to me. 

"Yes. I became a cop because of what happened to my mom. Do you know what I've learned since I became a cop?" Eric asked. 

I shook my head. "Half of the people in the legal system are dirty, the rules are BS, and we do nothing but put struggling people in. jail while letting big mob bosses and truly terrible people walk free." Eric stated. 

I didn't answer. I couldn't. I didn't know what to say. I know he is right. 

"I decided to take justice into my own hands." He said.

"You're acting like you're some kind of vigilante! You are a criminal Eric! Not a superhero." 

"I have never hurt an innocent person, only those that deserve it." Eric replied. 

"You're not batman!" I yelled. 

"No baby you're right. I'm the joker." 

AN: Sorry for the short chapter. I've been busy. More chapters coming this weekend.