Chapter 35 ~ Revelations (M)

Start from the beginning

"Then why can they not?"

"If my hunch proves true, you'll find out soon."

''I must stop expecting straight answers out of you." Faelas chuckled, scritching Luna's neck feathers in return.

As the mysterious light luminesced brighter, so did the inkling of promise Faelas held in his heart. It felt foreign and yet somehow familiar, like a smell that reminds one of childhood.

He could not fathom its source, but he hastened to find out. Leaping over boughs and dashing through thickets, Faelas sped forward into a grove of ancient oaks, the glow growing as he galloped. Shouts from the startled guard were drowned out as he bounded deftly amid the roots and ferns, intent on a single purpose.

Suddenly a bright clearing came into view, radiating in a crystal white beam emanating from two figures at the far end. A pair of glowing deers.

Faelas skidded to a halt and stared at them wide eyed. It is they! Faelas' breath caught in his throat amid the wild thud of his heart. Oft he had seen these two deers in his dreams. There they stood, a doe and a buck, glowing as bright as the moon, regarding him with serene gentleness...

As his waking eyes connected with theirs, the same nostalgic feeling as in those dreams tugged at his fëa. His feet felt a pull too. It was not a compulsion, but a yearning borne of his own heart. He took a step in their direction.

He approached them slowly, with Luna walking on the ground beside him, head bowed as if in reverence.

Mesmerized, Faelas stared as words echoed in his head. Sometimes we have to be lost in order to find ourselves... Do not worry our child, you will find your way. We are sorry we were not there for you as you grew, dear Faelas. But we will always be with you... Especially now...

A warm glow suffused his chest, tinged by the wrenching feeling of loss. Something tickled his cheek, and he realized a tear had slid from his eye.

The beings then began to fade, but the warm glow in Faelas' heart did not. When they had evanesced, he still felt their calming presence. Then, for the first time, he focused his awestruck gaze upon the structure they had stood before.

Two massive oaks draped in thick curtains of moss stood tall and broad before them. Each had to be thousands of years old. Ensconced between them lay a little cottage, dwarfed by their size. It was not wrought by tools. All gentle curving edges, it had been carefully coaxed to grow from the trees themselves instead of carved from their wood. Whimsically shaped windows and doors had magically grown into the little tree cottage.

Long beards of moss in various verdant hues dangled from branches and rich emerald moss carpeted the oaks and the dwelling between. Ivy and flower vines embraced everything in sight. Lacy ferns and myriad blossoms blanketed the earth amidst the great sweeping oak roots.

Faelas was spellbound, unmoving, unblinking. Acute, nostalgic awareness of colors, smells, and sensations exploded in him. The pungent earthy scent of the moss and blooming night jasmine, the rich green and rainbow hues of the leaves and flowers, the unique caress of the air.

And beyond those primary senses burgeoned another. A welcoming aura radiated throughout the forest, centering in the two ancient oaks and the living abode betwixt them. Something undeniably magical.

The shimmering beings were... his parents. He let that knowledge wash over him, dazzled by the revelation. They were here for him, even though they had left this plane.

Murmurs of 'Where has this place come from?' sounded distant in Faelas' ears. The guards had caught up and were staring at the structure they too could clearly see.