Chapter 10

"Come on baby. Come to mommy" I cooed at Alessandro who was on the floor on his hands and knees trying to crawl. He would mainly rock back and forth and then look up at me with a smile. 

Ever since that little scare I has yesterday, I have been close to him making sure he doesn't leave my sight. This morning I worked with him strapped to my back. Dan keeps apologizing every time we see him. I just smile and say it's alright. It's not like he knew that honey is harmful for babies.

"That's it Alessandro come on." I encouraged as he began to move forward. he moved a few inches before he finally just gave up and laid on the floor with his face to the carpet. I laughed a little and picked him up.

"You lazy little baby" I poked his nose causing him to giggle and grab my finger and put it in his mouth sucking and chewing on it getting drool everywhere.

He is growing up so fast. I know he is only about four months old right now but gosh the time just flew. Usually human babies don't start to crawl until they are a bit older, but given that Alessandro was a werewolf and has alpha blood, he is growing faster than the average human and wolf.

"Awe aren't they just the cutest" I heard a voice from behind me. I turned around and faced Dan.

"Why thank you" I laughed. Alessandro began to reach out for Dan and Dan eagerly accepted.

"Hey there little Al, you being good for mommy?" 

Al answered back by swatting Dan in the face making me laugh.

"Hey, what was that for?" He playfully scolded. Alessandro just laughs as him and swats him more. "Okay okay I get it. Jeez your like your mother"

"Hey" I cried swatting him on the arm.

"Ow, dang it woman. I'm with child. No hitting"

I rolled my eyes and took Al back. "Not anymore" I said before swatting him again making him jump back to avoid contact with my hand.

"gosh you are so violent. I don't know how your mate will put up with you" He jokes.

My breathing almost stops as he says this. He doesn't know that Zeph is my mate and that he rejected me.

I felt tears brimming my eyes as I tried to get rid of the hurt that suddenly exploded in my chest. I felt Alessandro lay his head on my shoulder as if he felt my pain.

"Hey you okay?" Dan asks.

I take deep breaths closing my eyes forcing my tears back.

"I'm fine."

There was an awkward silence in the room, the only noises were of my deep breathing as I still had my eyes closed. I felt a stray tear leak from my eye and I felt like cursing but there was a child in the room and there is no way I and teaching my son swear words.

After a minute I open my eyes confident that no more tears would fall. Alessandro is still laying his head on my shoulder and Dan is looking at me with concern in his eyes.

"You wanna talk about it?" he asks softly.

I shook my head knowing that if I told him, it could ruin his friendship with Zeph. They have been best friends for years and Dan has only known me more a month, I won't make him choose between me or my mate. 

"I have to get back to work" I said quietly as I strapped Al on my back with one of those baby carriers. I quickly walk out of the room trying to avoid eye contact.

I felt a headache coming as I thought of what my life would have been like if he accepted me. I would be happy instead of bottling up my feelings. I would feel protected, secure, loved.