―xi. here

ANNABETH BROUGHT GOOD NEWS the next day.

"Chiron said it took some convincing, and a little help from the Mist," she said after breakfast, as she, Naomi, and Percy relaxed by the hearth, "but—the three of us can spend senior year together. All three of us, at the same school. And, as long as everything goes well..." She grinned. "How does New Rome University sound?"

Naomi's face split into an unstoppable grin as Percy let out a whoop!

As the excitement settled in, Nico walked over.

Percy looked at him, still grinning like crazy. "Hey, man. Annabeth just told us some good news. Sorry if I got a little loud."

"We're going to spend our senior year together," Annabeth explained, "here in New York. And after graduation—"

"College in New Rome!" Naomi exclaimed.

Percy pumped his fist like he was blowing a truck horn. "Four years with no monsters to fight, no battles, no stupid prophecies. Just me, Annabeth and Naomi, getting our degrees, hanging out at cafés, enjoying California—"

"And after that..." Annabeth kissed Naomi and Percy's cheeks. "Well, Reyna and Frank said we could live in New Rome as long as we like."

"That's great," Nico said. "I'm staying, too, here at Camp Half-Blood."

Naomi beamed. "Nico!"

"Awesome!" Percy said.

Nico studied the son of Poseidon. "So," he said, "since we're going to be spending at least a year seeing each other at camp, I think I should clear the air."

Percy's smile wavered. "What do you mean?"

"For a long time," Nico said, "I had a crush on you. I just wanted you to know."

Percy looked at Nico. Then at Annabeth and Naomi, as if to check that he'd heard correctly. Then back at Nico. "You—"

"Yeah," Nico said. "You're a great person. But I'm over that. I'm happy for you guys."

"You... so you mean—"

"Right."

Naomi blinked, trying to compute the fact that her stepbrother had had a crush on her boyfriend.

"Wait," Percy said. "So you mean—"

"Right," Nico said again. "But it's cool. We're cool. I mean, I see now... you're cute, but you're not my type."

"I'm not your type... Wait. So—"

"See you around, Percy." Nico said. "Annabeth."

She raised her hand for a high five, which Nico obliged.

"Naomi," he said, nodding at his sister.

Naomi stared at him. "You little—why didn't you tell me?"

Nico snorted. "I think you can guess."

Yeah, that was fair. Telling your stepsister you had a crush on her boyfriend... Naomi could understand why he was a little hesitant.

She watched Nico head back across the green, where it looked like Will and Isaac were waiting.

Naomi and her Greek friends saw the Romans off. She hugged Hazel so tightly she almost expected her sister to complain, but Hazel hugged her back with just as much force. She hugged Frank next and made him promise to keep in touch (and treat her sister well or risk hers and Nico's combined wrath). She shook hands with Reyna and was glad to know they were parting on good terms after... well, everything.