―viii. naomi, percy, and annabeth get in trouble (ooooooooh)

"OH... YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE."

Naomi woke slowly, blinking against the daylight as it came in through the glass bay doors. She looked up to see Frank in the doorway of the stables, looking completely and utterly terrified.

"What...?" Percy rubbed his eyes on Annabeth's other side. "Oh, we just fell asleep."

Frank swallowed. He was dressed in running shoes, dark cargo pants, and a Vancouver Winter Olympics t-shirt with his Roman centurion badge pinned to the neck. He averted his eyes as if the sight of them together might burn him.

"Everyone thinks you've been kidnapped," he said. "We've been scouring the ship. When Coach Hedge finds out—oh, gods, you've been here all night?"

"Frank!" Annabeth's ears were as red as strawberries. "We just came down here to talk. We fell asleep. Accidentally. That's it."

"Kissed a couple of times," Percy said.

Naomi's face burned. "Percy!"

"We'd better..." Frank pointed to the stable doors. "Uh, we're supposed to meet for breakfast. Would you explain what you did—I mean didn't do? I mean... I really don't want that faun—I mean satyr—to kill me."

Frank ran.

When everyone finally gathered in the mess hall, it wasn't quite as bad as Frank had feared. Jason and Piper were mostly relieved. Leo couldn't stop muttering, "Classic. Classic." Only Hazel seemed scandalized, maybe because she was from the 1940s. She kept fanning her face and refused to meet any of their eyes.

Naturally, Coach Hedge went ballistic.

"Never in my life!" the satyr bellowed, waving his bat and knocking over a plate of apples. "Against the rules! Irresponsible!"

"Coach!" Naomi said, "it was an accident. We were talking, and we just fell asleep."

"Besides," Percy said, "you're starting to sound like Terminus."

Naomi shot him a look.

Hedge narrowed his eyes. "Is that an insult, Jackson? 'Cause I'll—I'll terminus you, buddy!"

Percy looked like he was trying not to laugh. "It won't happen again, Coach. I promise. Now, don't we have other things to discuss?"

Hedge fumed. "Fine! But I'm watching you, Jackson. And you two, Annabeth, Naomi—I thought you had more sense—"

Jason cleared his throat. "So grab some food, everybody. Let's get started."

The meeting was like a war council with donuts. Then again, back at Camp Half-Blood they used to have their most serious discussions around the Ping-Pong table in the rec room with crackers and Cheez-Whiz, so Naomi was right at home.

Percy told them about his dream—the twin giants planning a reception for them in an underground parking lot with rocket launchers; Nico di Angelo trapped in a bronze jar, slowly dying from asphyxiation with seeds at his feet.

Hazel choked back a sob. "Nico... Oh, gods. The seeds."

"Seeds?" Leo asked. "Like, sunflower seeds?"

"Pomegranate seeds," Naomi corrected. "From my mother's garden. Nico and I keep a handful on us, in case something happens. Only children of Hades or Persephone can eat them."

Hazel nodded. She must have been nervous because all the silverware on the table started moving toward her. "If he's really imprisoned—"

"The giants are trying to lure us in," Naomi said grimly. "They know we'll come to rescue him."