―xii. never trust a crazy weatherman

NO ONE SPOKE FOR A GOOD MINUTE. Thalia and Jason faced each other, stunned into silence. Naomi, Piper, Leo, and Hedge watched on, witnessing the reunion of two long-lost siblings separated by gods know what—or, rather, who.

Thalia's arm fell from Naomi's shoulder, then she rushed forward and hugged Jason.

"My gods! She told me you were dead!" She gripped Jason's face and seemed to be taking in every single detail of it. "Thank Artemis, it is you. That little scar on your lip—you tried to eat a stapler when you were two!"

Naomi burst out laughing. Leo was close behind. "Seriously?"

Hedge nodded in approval. "Staplers—excellent source of iron."

"W—wait," Jason stammered. "Who told you I was dead? What happened?"

At the cave entrance, one of the white wolves barked. Thalia looked back at the wolf and nodded, but she kept her hands on Jason's face, like she was afraid he might disappear. "My wolf is telling me I don't have much time, and she's right. But we have to talk. Let's sit."

Naomi did better than that. She collapsed back onto the ground, fighting a groan at the impact.

Thalia rushed over. "What's wrong? Wait, never mind. I see. Hypothermia. Ankle." She frowned at Hedge. "Don't you know nature healing?"

Hedge scoffed. "Why do you think she looks this good?"

Thalia glared at Leo like it was his fault. "You and the satyr," she ordered, "take Naomi and your other friend to Phoebe. She's an excellent healer."

"It's cold out there!" Hedge said. "I'll freeze my horns off."

"Come on, Coach," Leo said. "These two need time to talk."

He helped Naomi up as Hedge harrumphed, clearly disappointed he hadn't gotten to actually fight anyone. Still, he let Naomi wrap an arm around his shoulders to use as a crutch, which was nice of him.

She, Piper, and Hedge headed to the entrance. Leo was about to follow when Jason asked him to stick around. Naomi shot Thalia a reassuring smile over her shoulder as they walked out.

Naomi would never get over how cool the Hunters were. Phoebe took excellent care of her ankle, and within minutes, Naomi felt like she could run a marathon. Even better, she was finally warm again, sipping on hot chocolate and snacking on a granola bar by the time Jason, Leo, and Thalia came into the tent.

"Oh, no way," Leo said. "We've been sitting in a cave and you get the luxury tent? Somebody give me hypothermia. I want hot chocolate and a parka!"

Phoebe sniffed. "Boys."

"It's all right, Phoebe," Thalia said. "They'll need extra coats. And I think we can spare some chocolate."

Phoebe grumbled, but soon Leo and Jason were also dressed in silvery winter clothes like Naomi and Piper.

"Cheers!" Coach Hedge said. He crunched down his plastic thermos cup.

"That cannot be good for your intestines," Leo muttered.

Thalia patted Naomi's shoulder. "You gonna live, Sakura?"

Naomi rolled her eyes at her. "Of course I am. At this point, I'm starting to think I'm unkillable."

Thalia snorted. "Don't jinx it." She nodded at Piper. "What about you? Can you feel your toes again?"

Piper nodded. "Thanks to Phoebe, yeah. You guys are really good at this wilderness survival thing. I feel like I could run ten miles without breaking a sweat."