―vi. angels in quebec

NAOMI KIND OF HATED TO SAY IT, but flying on the back of a dragon was much more comfortable than traveling in the back of a shitty zoo transport truck.

Up high, the air was freezing cold, but the dragon's metal hide generated so much heat, it was like they were flying in a protective bubble. Plus, the grooves in the dragon's back were designed like high-tech saddles, so they weren't uncomfortable in the slightest.

Leo showed them how to hook their feet in the chinks in the armor, like stirrups, and use the leather safety harnesses cleverly concealed under the exterior plating. They sat single-file: Leo in front, then Piper, then Jason, then Naomi. She kept twisting her rings around as they flew, staying alert in case some venti decided to show up and try to crash their party. Storm spirits were hard enough to fight when you knew they were coming - she did not want to be caught off-guard.

Leo used the reins to steer the dragon into the sky like he was born to do it. The metal wings worked perfectly, and soon the coast of Long Island was just a hazy line behind them. They shot over Connecticut and climbed into the gray winter clouds.

Leo grinned back at them. "Cool, right?"

"What if we get spotted?" Piper asked.

"The Mist," Naomi told her. "It keeps mortals from seeing things they can't logically explain. If they spot us, they'll probably think we're a small plane or something."

Piper glanced over her shoulder. "Seriously?"

"Yep," Naomi said. "The Mist is powerful—it can make mortals see swords as shotguns and the father of monsters as a series of freak storms."

Piper blinked. "What?"

Naomi waved a hand. "Long story."

"We're making good time," Jason announced. "Probably get there by tonight."

"Where are we heading?" Piper asked.

"To find the god of the North Wind," Jason said. "And chase some storm spirits."

Things were going pretty okay—and then Leo started to talk to himself.

"Shut up, me," he muttered.

"What?" Piper asked.

"Nothing," he said. "Long night. I think I'm hallucinating. It's cool."

That doesn't sound cool, Naomi thought uneasily.

"Just joking," Leo said, though Naomi didn't buy it. "So what's the plan, bro? You said something about catching wind, or breaking wind, or something?"

As they flew over New England (not torching a single town—Festus the dragon - 1, Thalia driving the Sun Chariot - 0), Jason laid out the game plan: Find the god Boreas—

"His name is Boreas?" Leo asked. "What is he, the god of boring?"

Second, they had to find the venti that had attacked the trio at the Grand Canyon—

"Can we just call them storm spirits?" Leo asked. "Venti makes them sound like evil espresso drinks."

And third, they had to find out who the storm spirits worked for, so they could find Hera and free her.

"So you want to look for Dylan, the nasty storm dude, on purpose," Leo said. "The guy who threw me off the skywalk and sucked Coach Hedge into the clouds."

"That's about it," Jason said. "Well... there may be a wolf involved, too. But I think she's friendly. She probably won't eat us, unless we show weakness."