Standard Procedure: Chapter 6

David stared across the room, the nice young nurse situated in the corner, calmly waiting, for him to rouse. His mind was hazy, he stared at his new morphine drip and smiled. Since his painful trip the other night they'd upped his dosage to keep him in bed. It worked, he felt totally and utterly relaxed, he had to fight to keep his eyes open. The nurse turned her gaze to him as she heard movement. "Hi, Jannnnneee."

Jane stirred, they'd obviously given him enough of the good stuff. She smiled broadly, trying not to chuckle at the old man's temporary high.  

"Hi Mr. Peterson."

He loosely gestured to the morphine bag to his right. "Gooooood stufff huhhh."

Jane couldn't hold it in and she stifled a laugh. The old man smiled at her, his steely gaze still steady and unwavering, despite the morphine coursing through his system. Jane wondered how the story was going to go today.

David could taste the words in his mouth as they slurred on his tongue. He felt foolish, but at the same time he enjoyed seeing the young girl smile at his quite obvious drug-induced charm and wit. She was dressed differently today, the white coat that always covered the majority of her small frame was no longer there, and her hair, always pulled up in an efficient pony-tail, now hung just short of her slender shoulders. She still looked slightly on edge today. He wondered what had happened in that room but decided not to press.

He continued the story instead.

Vietnam 1956

The proposal had been wonderful and he still felt the utter joy in his chest as he dropped from the helicopter into this strange new world. He couldn't stop smiling. His fiancé, God, she was all his, wasn't she. A large thud shook the ground and David turned to see Frank, all 300 pounds of him hit the ground beside him. His six-foot four buddy clapped him on the shoulder.

"Boy, you better quit smiling like that, or you're gonna get stuck with that dopey-lookin' grin on your face."

Frank smiled showing off all of his pearly whites. David shifted his sack to the opposite shoulder and laughed.

The smell of smoke and sweat intermingled in the air producing a pungent odor. The campsite was packed with tired looking soldiers, their haggard faces stared at the smiling new soldiers with distaste. The grin fell from David's face, though he still felt the warmth and excitement of the previous evening.

Ramshackle forts and hastily assembled buildings dotted the edges of the expanse, trees lining the perimeter for miles on all sides. Frank walked next to David as they were led to their bunks. David's eyes couldn't get enough of the sites. He was here, this was real. For some reason war exited him, the fear, the emotion, and best of all, the adrenaline. He was hooked. Frank on the other hand looked a little more uneasy, his heavy steps were uneven and choppy as he struggled with the tiny steps of the smaller men in front of him. He, too, wasn't focused on their destination.

Frank's gaze again fell on the reassuring eyes of his faithful friend and he returned a nervous smile. David tried to read his eyes and figure out what was bothering his friend but his own emotions got in the way and the excitement of war dominated his thoughts.

It's every boy's dream to be the hero and face danger and here he was, strong, fit, and fearless. David knew he should be afraid and apprehensive, and careful as his fiancé had warned him, but he couldn't seem to muster the pitiful emotions. The bunk was old and creaked as David hoisted himself to the top of the ancient wooden structure his feet nearly clipping the top of his buddy's head as Frank eased his large frame into the bunk below him.

As soon as they had entered the bunker rain began to pelt the tin roof overhead. It sounded like a barrage of bullets and fear suddenly gripped his heart and then left as he saw soldiers rush in soaking wet but unhurt. The guards were still at their posts, there faces stoic as the rain slammed into their bodies and soaked their uniforms. David was glad he wasn't one of them as he stared out the hole near his bed. Despite the warmth the rain had given the air a certain chill.

The men were anxious, visibility was low and the Vietcong were know for their fortitude and craftiness. They would certainly attempt an attack in this weather. They were smaller in numbers but clever and quick. The climate of the region worked to their advantage forcing foreigners into their lodgings and allowing the enemy to move silently without being seen. Even their tracks ceased to exist more than a few minutes in the torrential downpour. David examined the worried faces of the men. Their eyes also scanning the perimeter of the campsite as if they could see more than a few feet outside the building.

David too began to share their apprehension and turned his gaze to the outside. Small rivers and pools began to form in the campsite seeping into the building. David heard shuffling as the men proceeded to gather their things off the dirt floor and place them on the upper bunks. Mattresses, too, were lifted off their frames and set on the top bunks or all the beds. David scrambled off the bed and helped Frank lift the mattress to the top. The water didn't rise very high but enough to persuade lazier recruits to pile their things on higher ground.

The storm ceased an hour later without an attack and the place resumed as normal, the soggy guards switching out for dry ones as they went to dry their clothes. The heat immediately became evident and David began to feel the sweat on his brow. Night would soon be approaching and he needed rest for the early start tomorrow. Tugging off his uniform and folding it neatly beside his boots he lifted himself onto the hard mattress, wincing as the bed groaned under his weight, he was grateful Frank hadn't taken the top bunk.