Thirteen

~MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT~
Elley Duhé

"Just call my name,
I'm yours to tame."

I woke with a longing in my chest. It had been six days since I had seen Tom, and he was coming over today. I just didn't know when. Our wedding was so close that it felt wrong to spend any minute without him.

I turned over in my bed and grabbed my phone to check my notifications, pushing my hair out of my eyes. Nothing from Tom, but I got a message from my maid-of-honor. Emily and I were as close as friends could be in this business. Her family had been working for mine since before we were born, and we had always been there for each other, except that night at the Royals Club when she left early with someone. I had forgiven her immediately. I just kicked myself for not leaving with someone myself. I had wanted to try the King, but that was before I knew he was the one that tried to kidnap me.

"Bachelorette party is a go for tomorrow night! Dress so that the men don't know who the bride is ;)" I could just hear Emily's voice. I could hear the mischief in her tone, and I could see her pushing me into the arms of some handsome stranger. She knew Tom and I had been arranged together, but she didn't know that the only hands I wanted on me belonged to him.

"You're impossible" I replied, laughing quietly to myself.

I peeled myself away from the sheets to see a piece of paper on my marble floor in front of my door. I picked it up to see my parents had given me a schedule. I was to get changed for a training day, eat breakfast, go to the boxing gym, and then go to the shooting range. Something seemed off about it all, like it was suddenly urgent for me to brush up on my skills. Did they find out about the Greeks?

I pulled on a black tank top and some matching leggings before pulling my hair up into a ponytail and brushing my teeth. I tucked my phone into my side pocket with a huff of disappointment as there was still no message from Tom. It seemed like he wanted to surprise me, but he should know better than to try and sneak up on the daughter of Mr. Y/l/n.

"Mother? Father?" I called out as I bounced down the marble stairs and towards the kitchen. No answer. Breakfast alone. Again. Man, what was up with everyone recently? Did I just all of a sudden become repulsive or something?

I grabbed a protein bar and filled up my water bottle. I chewed at the bar while I walked towards the gym, followed by someone with a gun, of course. I didn't know why, though. We were inside the gates and people lined the entire courtyard of the mansion. This was starting to get annoying, being treated like I couldn't take care of myself.

"Seriously, could you at least walk like a foot away from me? I can feel your breath on my neck." I couldn't, but I wanted to make him uncomfortable.

"Sorry, Miss." That was all he said before he lingered back a little. I let out a frustrated sigh and trudged along with longer strides to make it to the other building. I flung the door open and stormed to wrap up my hands, tossing my water bottle somewhere I didn't see in my tantrum.

I wrapped up my hands a little too quickly and tightly, but I just couldn't wait to hit something. I was about to head towards the punching bags, but I noticed a trainer was waiting in the center of the boxing ring. A helmet and mask covered his face and he was wearing pads all over his body. He looked ridiculous, but I guess he knew I would be in a violent mood.

I tightened my ponytail and stepped inside the ring, immediately getting into position. The trainer didn't say anything as he readied himself, putting up his hands at an angle. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a second before flashing them back open.

My fists flew quickly in the usual patterns that came naturally to my muscles. The trainer let out soft grunts, but took the punches well. I continued to throw as hard as I could, letting out all my pent-up energy, but it wasn't a challenge.

"Can you try and fight back a little? Make me work for it," I said, barely out of breath. He nodded his head and removed a few of his pads for easier movement and left his hands bare, then he got back into position.

I went to throw at his abdomen, but he caught my wrist and flung me around until my arm was pressed against my own back and the trainer was right behind me. His body brushed against mine, and I could feel his heavy breathing due to accelerated heart rate.

I am about to flip over him or sweep my leg underneath him when his voice came up right next to my ear. "You wanted a challenge, didn't you?" His voice sent chills up my spine and my body reacted without my control. I melded against him, my shoulders relaxing. It didn't matter that my arm was still trapped behind me because it was held by him. He was here.

Wait. I was not going to let Tom distract me and make me lose.

I kicked at his knee, which caused him to bend over and loosen his grip. I wrapped my fingers around his wrist and pulled up. I heard him hiss in pain, so I flipped around, his arm now trapped. Then, I swept my leg against his shin. His already bent knee fell to the ground, giving me a chance to flip him onto his back against the floor of the ring.

My lungs were heaving in breaths, but I kept him on the ground with one arm, removing his helmet with the other. His beautiful brown eyes met mine and his curls stuck slightly at his forehead with sweat. I expected a look of confusion or frustration, but I was greeted with a smirk that made my legs feel unsteady.

"I asked for a challenge," I said, my voice failing me and going quiet with lack of breath.

"And what about what I asked for?" he replied, his chest rising underneath my forearm.

"Last I recall, you didn't ask for anything." My ponytail fell to the side of my face, hiding my reddening cheeks. Tom licked his lower lip, his dark eyes sparking with a charming mischief.

"Didn't I?" His arm escaped my grip and wrapped around my waist. I knew what was going to happen, and I gladly let it. His body weight shifted and he flipped himself over, forcing me underneath him gently, as if he was holding onto a butterfly he didn't want to escape his reach.

My heart raced and every inch of my body electrified under his touch. But nothing made my heart pound of my chest like when he leaned down and kissed me like it was the first and last time we would ever touch.

~ ~ ~

Yes, I am finally updating. Sorry for the long wait! A lot of family things came up and school has been kicking my ass, but I missed posting!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, even if not much happened ;)

Thank you for reading, voting, and commenting. The support is so rewarding!

I'll catch y'all in the next chapter <3

~Aidan