Dinner with dad

"I just wanted to tell you that maybe your father is about to be demoted.  I didn't do anything, it's just--"

"Who cares about him?" I said. "Honey, you don't owe me an explanation. It's your office and you gotta do what you gotta do." I explained. He smiled.

"And I have to break the news to him over dinner. Tomorrow?"

"ugh, Okay. But you owe me a date."

"Thank you."

"So, what're you doing tomorrow?"

"I am going to visit some investors and convince them to invest in my solo exhibition."

"Oh, honey I can invest."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Absolutely not. I have spent half my life learning art and getting a college degree not to get a career from my husband's money."

"You're right. I'm sorry." He said and kissed my cheek.

"So, why did you choose art?"

"My mother was an artist. She used to teach me how to paint when I was young. I always wanted to be like her and she used to tell me that she'd wish that I will become a great artist. I always wanted to be an artist since then. For me and for her." I said looking and smiling sadly at him.

"I am sure she is very proud of you." He said which made me smile.

I got up and wore my nightdress while he changed into his informal clothes.  We both slept and spent the following days doing usual work. I babysat Hope and I got investors for my solo art exhibit. I was dying to tell this thing to Elijah. He came home in the evening.

"ELIJAH! GUESS WHAT?"

"I am having a solo exhibition in 6 weeks at Royal rose venue!!" I said.

"Honey, that's amazing." He said and gave me the tightest hug. He then lifts me from the bed and puts me down.

"Get ready gorgeous. We have a dinner to attend." He says kissing me passionately. I kiss him on the neck and he caresses my butt. I run my hand on his body through his loosely buttoned grey shirt. I reached for his boxers and he chucked and held my hand. 

"Not now, sweetheart." He said. He starts to gently pull back and I kiss him on the lips exploring every corner of his mouth. He chuckled when I won't leave him and pulled me back.

"Mean," I said groaning and he was smiling mischievously. I wore a decent teal formal dress that complimented my brown eyes. I curled my brown hair and did light makeup. I wore ballerinas and went outside to see Elijah waiting for me.

"You're killing me with that look, sweetheart." He said which made my heart flutter and I squealed in my mind. We got in the car and got to the five-star restaurant that Elijah suggested to dad. The Mikaelsons owned almost everything in New Orleans including that restaurant. It had a beautiful front yard with a lot of jasmine bushes and mellow golden lights. It was beautiful. Elijah pulled a tiny velvet box from his pocket and handed me.

"This is for you." He said. I opened the box with excitement. My eyes lit up to see a beautiful jade necklace which I once saw in a jewelry shop months ago but was too expensive.

The necklace:

"It's beautiful

"It's beautiful. Wait, how did you know I wanted this?"

"Well, I just knew."

"You called Eliana and she told you, didn't she?"

"Yaa she did."

"May I?" He asked and I nodded and turned my back to put the necklace on. We entered and saw my father waiting for us. He got up and greeted us. We sat down to order.

Elijah's POV:

"Steak for me and my son-in-law," Edward said smiling at me whilst Jade rolled her eyes.

"Okay, and what would the lady have?" Waiter asked.

"I'll have smoked sal--" Jade began to speak but she got interrupted by Edward.

"She'll have the green bean salad," Edward spoke before she could finish. The smile and radiance on her face vanished. She spoke softly again,

"Dad, it's been a long day. Please---"

"Honey, look you've grown so big. You don't want Mr. Mikaelson to go find a finer maiden, do you?" He said with a crooked smile. He treats her like trash. I wanted to kill him right there. Seeing her sad and disappointed face broke my heart. I was fisting on the table and I opened my mouth to say something before Jade held my hand. She looked at me shaking her head and whispered, "Don't." I loosened my fist and took a deep breath. I saw her looking at her body and she covered her belly with her purse.

"Nice necklace Jade. A jade for Jade. haha!"

"Thanks, dad. It's a gift from--"

"Of course, it's a gift. Like you could afford that with your silly paintings." He laughed. She faked a smile but I could see the moisture in her eyes. She gulped and bit her lower lip. She was uncomfortable.

"So Jade, tell me how's married life treating you?"

"It's good, dad. Oh you know I got a very nice deal today. I am having a solo exhibition in a few weeks."

"Well, I assume Mr. Mikaelson invested. Of course, he did! Who else would do that?"

"No, I did not invest. Your daughter is incredibly talented." I said interrupting the conversation but that didn't make Jade any better. She was already done. I knew that it wasn't gonna make it any better so I decided just to get on point.

"How is business Mr. Mikaelson?" Edward spoke up.

"Ah. It's good Edward but I am sorry to tell you that you may be demoted soon. You are not doing the job properly. You are stirring up trouble and you insulted a witch which made them angry. I have worked for several years on the peace treaty that everyone has." 

"WHAT? Has Jade pissed you off in any way? Don't worry, I'll teach her a lesson."  Edward said which made Jade frown and alarmed.

"Perhaps you didn't hear me right Edward. You're getting demoted because of your own deeds." I said with a louder tone and serious voice.

"Mr. Mikaelson please give me one last chance. I promise I will make things right. I am even going on a business trip tomorrow. I--" Edward spoke.

"Tomorrow. Don't you have to go to the cemetery tomorrow?" Jade spoke up.

"What?" He replied.

"Oh my god. You don't remember, do you?" Her voice became shaky and her eyes were watery.

"Remember what?" Edward said in a hostile tone.

"Mom's death anniversary." Her voice broke and tears started coming down her eyes.  She had a look of disgust on her face. I felt sorry for her. I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and kill this man. She got up and stormed off to the restroom.