Chapter 25

Sofia sat on the couch as she laughed with her father. To say she was intoxicated was an understatement. It had been years since she drank, and her tolerance had definitely gone down. She giggled, her hand over her mouth as she leaned backward.

Ruben slapped his thigh. Both of them were giggling messes. They were laughing at the Christmas tree of all things. It wasn't funny, but their drunken state made it hilarious. The two of them had been acting like this for a while, but nobody cared. Geny thought they were hilarious.

Oscar had been left to fend for himself the entire night. The others constantly harassed him about how great he looks, how lucky he is, and how they can't believe he's a father now. Truthfully, Oscar couldn't believe it either. It still didn't feel real. He couldn't believe how lucky he got with Sofia. She had stuck by him through everything. She knew the dangers of loving him, but she stayed anyway.

He glanced at her, watching as she laughed loudly. He smiled to himself. Words couldn't describe how much he loved her. He couldn't imagine living a life that she wasn't in. They were made for each other. Ella bonded them on an entirely different level.

Oscar rubbed his chin and began walking towards her. Geny was outside putting Ella in the car. He was tasked with convincing his wife that leaving now was a good idea. "Hey," Oscar approached the two. "Ready to g-"

"Oscar," Sofia jumped up from her spot. "Hi."

"Hi."

She grinned. "Want to dance?"

He chuckled, "no, we have to go."

There was a frown on her face. "Why?"

"Because," he explained. "We have a daughter who's exhausted."

Sofia leaned against him. "We do have a daughter, don't we?"

"Yeah." He wrapped an arm around her and guided her out of the house. Nobody noticed them as they left. "We do."

Sofia hummed, stumbling slightly. "We should have another."

Oscar was caught completely off guard by her words. His head snapped in her direction, but he never had the chance to question her. "She's asleep in the car seat," Geny said. "You okay on your own?"

"Hey, mom," Sofia slurred her words.

"I'll manage."

Geny smiled, "good luck." With that, she walked away.

"Okay, fine." Sofia waved her hand. "Don't say bye to me. See if I care."

Oscar decided not to comment. It wasn't worth the energy, not right now. Silently, they walked towards the car. He opened the passenger door, and Sofia got inside. Mumbling something about how chivalry wasn't dead.

Once she was buckled in, he closed the door. His steps were heavy. He was exhausted but had managed to hide it for most of the night. However, he wanted to ask her about her previous comment—the comment about wanting more kids. "Sofia, I-" but he stops. The girl is already asleep. All he can do is laugh, deciding to pocket the conversation until the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a reason Sofia hated drinking. She always got the worst hangovers. They were nauseating and painful. Her skull felt as it was about to break in half, and her body felt as if it was run over. Sofia vowed to never drink again.

"Hey." Someone knocked on the door. Oscar poked his head in. "Are you awake?"

Sofia grumbled into the pillow. "I think someone tried to kill me."

He grinned as he walked into the room. "I think it's just a hangover."

"It's attempted murder." She refused to move. "What time is it?"

"Nearly three."

She sat up. "Is it really?" Sofia had slept the entire day. "Ella, I have to-"

"Relax." Oscar sat on the bed and slipped off his shoes. "Everything is already done."

Sofia wasn't sure. "Everything?"

"Yes," he moved closer to her. "Ella has been fed, bathed, dressed, and put down for her nap. I cleaned the living room and did laundry."

An amused smile made its way onto her face. "Oh, really now?"

"Really."

Sofia moved closer, letting her arms wrap around his neck. "Thanks for letting me sleep, baby."

Oscar smiled at her. "Of course." He raised his right hand and pushed the hair out of her face. "You know, I really love you."

"I would hope so. We are married." He rolled his eyes at her sarcastic comment. "I love you too." Oscar remained silent. "Where is this coming from? Everything okay?" The way his body tensed was a clear indication that everything was not all right. "Oscar?"

"Last night, you said something that really stuck with me."

Sofia couldn't recall what she said. "What was it?"

He shifted nervously. It was now or never. "You said we should have another kid."

Sofia pulled her arms back, her cheeks darkening. She felt a sense of embarrassment. "Oh."

"Oh?" Oscar thought there would be more. "Just oh? Is that something you want?" Sofia had no idea how to respond and remained silent. That gave Oscar the answer he was hoping for. "You do?"

Sofia shrugged. She had no idea what to say. Of course, she wanted more kids. Oscar was a great father, and being a mom felt like a dream. "I mean, yeah." She refused to look him in the eye. "But it's not a big deal. I'm happy with just Ella. It was just a thought and-"

"Hey," he silenced her. Oscar lifted her chin with his hand, forcing her to look at him. "I want more too."

Her eyes brightened. "You do?"

"Of course, I do." Oscar had imagined more kids. He never imagined having kids before, but his life was perfect now. He had a loving wife and the perfect daughter. It was like a dream, and he didn't mind adding to the dream.

"You want more kids?" Sofia never thought Oscar would want more. They never planned to have Ella originally, but she was a blessing. Since having her, they never once talked about having more. Sofia assumed he didn't want any, but she was wrong. It seemed he did.

"Yeah, I do."

She bit her lip. "Okay." They were in agreement. They wanted to expand their family. "We should wait till we move, but start immediately."

Oscar chuckled. The idea of expanding their family thrilled him. It made him feel more happiness than he had felt in a long time. "Sounds like a plan."

There was a twinkle in her eyes. "But I'm not opposed to practicing beforehand. You know? Just to make sure we know what we are doing."

He couldn't help but laugh. "I'm not opposed to that idea either." Sofia grinned, pressing her lips against his.