Chapter 16

Sofia felt a cold hand skim over her stomach. She already knew who it was. It was Oscar. After finding out he was alive, the two couldn't part from each other. Or more so, she feared letting him out of her sight. Sofia was partly convinced it was a dream. Come morning her fears of him being dead would be true.

However, his cold fingers danced over her stomach. A sign that Oscar was still there. That he was alive and in bed with her. That their family was complete. Her eyes opened, and she saw the man she loved so much. But his eyes were on her stomach, watching it closely. Sofia grinned at the sight, "what are you doing?"

Oscar glanced up at her, a smile on his face. "I think I'm dreaming," he muttered. "I'm scared this is all a dream, and I'll wake up without you."

Sofia chuckled, letting her fingers roam over his chest. A white bandage had covered up his neck injuries. If this were a dream, she would happily remain there forever. "Not a dream," Sofia whispered. "Unfortunately, I have the morning sickness to prove it."

It was his turn to laugh, "I should have known." Sofia's eyebrows pulled together. "You hate pickles."

"I do."

Oscar rolled Sofia onto her back, pinning her underneath him. By now, she was fully awake. His ear had a horrible injury where his earring had been ripped out. "You're so beautiful."

Sofia rolled her eyes, "I don't like the black eye on you." His entire body was covered in different injuries. She hated the sight. "I think I like you better without it."

"I think you look better underneath me."

She playfully slapped his shoulder. "You're only saying that because I'm pregnant."

"No," he smirked. "I'm saying that because I love you." Sofia's blushed and looked away from him. "Hey." Oscar tilted her chin to look at him. "I mean it. Te amo demasiado."

"I know," Sofia's eyes searched his. "I kinda love you too." Oscar dipped his head down, kissing her slowly. She let the hand on his chest travel up, her fingers dipping into the curve of his neck. "Oscar," she pulled away. "Are you sure you want to leave?" Sofia had to be sure that's what he wanted. "We can stay."

"It's what I want," he was sure of it. "Me and you." He let his hand rest on her stomach. "And this one." Sofia smiled at him. "A new start somewhere else."

Sofia's hand rested on his cheek. "I like how that sounds." Of course, she would miss her family. But this was her chance to start her future with Oscar, and after nearly losing him, she wasn't willing to let that go. "When do we leave?"

Oscar kissed her forehead, "as soon as possible."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sofia pulled the braid over her shoulder and walked out of Oscar's room. The dress she wore was a cream color and full of roses. It sat off her shoulders and stopped at her calf. Geny had bought it for her the morning of Oscar's fourth day missing. After learning her daughter was pregnant, she decided to do some shopping. At the time, the dress made her nauseous, but it was perfect.

There were a few things Oscar needed to wrap up. Cuchillios was gone, and people were looking to him. But he didn't want to be a part of it anymore. However, he wanted to wrap everything up peacefully. Make amends with 19th Street and have them follow a new code. Sofia thought it was honorable, and she was silently thrilled he was leaving. There would be no more danger for him and her family. That was all she ever wanted. "You're getting played," the voice belonged to Cesar. "Those kids don't want peace."

"Peace is good for business." Sofia stopped at the end of the hallway. Her boy leaned against the wall as she listened to the conversation between Oscar and his brother.

"What happens when The Prophets get out of jail," Cesar began questioning him. "Or a new gang appears? You're not naive."

"That's right. I'm not," Oscar stopped him. Sofia bit her bottom lip, keeping herself out of sight. "There will constantly be issues. I'm sick of this game. Someone has to take the first step."

"The first step," Cesar spoke. "Or first slip?" Sofia remained silent. "They know you're soft now. You're a target."

"Hermano," there was a pause. Sofia couldn't help but wonder what was happening. "It's a new day. I don't need this shit." Oscar paused, "I want adult problems. I want to own a house, raise my kid, and then get married." Sofia smiled at his words. "Right now, I have resentment and missed opportunities. I don't want that anymore." She took a deep breath. "Time to give it away. Start a new chapter."

There was a pause and a few footsteps. "What if someone takes your power?" Sofia felt slightly concerned by Cesar's tone. As if he was getting a dangerous idea, but she the young boy. He never wanted to be part of the Santos in the first place.

"Let them," Oscar's voice was closer. He was just on the other side of the wall now. "You taught me the real power us up here." Sofia looked up as Oscar turned the corner. His steps halted upon noticing her, and he grinned. "Hey, baby."

"Hi," Sofia smiled sweetly back at him.

He grabbed her hand, bringing her closer to him. "You look so beautiful."

"Thank you," she glanced at her dress. "My mom got it for me. It's comfortable."

"I like it," he hummed. "Have I told you recently that I love you?"

Sofia rolled her eyes, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Yes," she said. "But I like to be reminded." He pulled her closer. "So, you want to get married?"

Oscar smirked, nodding his head slightly. "Thought that was obvious." It was a statement.

Sofia tilted her head to the side, "hm." He watched her pretend to think. "Who's the lucky lady?"

He laughed, "you know her. A little tall, long dark hair, very attractive." Sofia rolled her eyes again at his words. "She thinks she's hilarious, and sometimes she's moody. Always gets what she wants and-"

"Okay," she cut him off. "I get it. She sounds pretty great."

"Yeah," he whispered. "She is." Sofia smiled and stood on the tips of her toes and kissed him. Everything fell into place perfectly, and if this was a dream, she didn't want to wake up.