Chapter 11

"Hey," Sofia walked into the living room. Ruby, Cesar, Jasmine, Monse, and Jamal were all there. They had a whiteboard full of information. Lil' Ricky's name was on there multiple times. "What are you guys doing?"

"Nothing," Ruby jumped up and slammed the laptop closed. "We aren't doing anything."

"Ruby," Monse waved her hand. "Chill. It's just Sofia. She already knows we are looking for Lil' Ricky."

"Yeah, but," he looked away from her. "I promised myself she wouldn't get dragged into this before she left."

All eyes went to her quickly. "What," Jasmine turned around. "You're leaving?"

"Shit," Ruby whispered.

"What," Cesar stood up. "Where are you going?"

Sofia's shoulders fell, and she took a deep breath. "I got offered a full ride at Santa Clara University." But that was before she found out she was pregnant. Up until this moment, she hadn't thought about college. Her mind had been a million miles away with other issues.

"Wow," Jamal spoke. "That's amazing."

"I'm really happy for you," Monse added.

However, Cesar's eyes were on the floor. He almost looked disappointed. "I was planning on telling you all. I just haven't really seen you much anymore."

"We are still looking for Lil' Ricky," Monse informed her. "Jamal found a lead."

"Well, maybe I could be-"

Sofia was cut off by her mother walking into the house. "Will somebody help me with these groceries?"

"Yeah," Jasmine and Monse were out of their seats in a flash. They all took a bag from Geny. Sofia walked closer and grabbed another bag, wanting to help her mother.

They all walked into the kitchen together. "Thank you," Geny smiled. Sofia set her bag down on the kitchen table. She began grabbing items from the bag when her eyes caught sight of Ruby and Jasmine's hands touching. They both pulled away, looking in different directions. Sofia and Monse shared a confused look, neither knowing what had just happened. "Mijo, I ran into your cousin Emilio at the store." Geny unloaded her bags. "He told me he needed a date for his friend's quince. Someone who would make him look good on the dance floor." Her eyes found Jasmine. "Jasmine, are you single?" The girl glanced at Ruby. "Kids, don't you think they would make a cute couple?"

Sofia noticed the displeasure and discomfort on her brother's face. It caused her to freeze. Almost debating on questioning him. "Yeah. Whatever. She's a girl, and he's a boy. Could work."

Jasmine had an annoyed look, "yeah. Tell him to slide into my DMs."

"I don't want that means," Geny spoke. "But use protection. I already gave him your number." Monse noticed the awkward tension and nearly shoved Jasmine out of the kitchen.

"Guys," Jamal called.

Ruby went to walk out, but Sofia dragged him into the hallway. "Dude," Ruby pulled away from her. "What?"

"Don't what me," Sofia stared at him. "What the hell was that?"

His cheeks flushed, "I don't know what you're talking about."

She rolled her eyes, "don't give me that." However, he wasn't talking. "Ruby," Sofia nudged his shoulder. Recently she felt as if they were in two different worlds. They weren't around each other as much as she would have liked. Everything seemed to be changing, and she missed him more than anything. "We used to tell each other everything, and now." Her words were cut off as she felt a sudden rush of sadness. The back of her eyes began to burn with tears, and she looked away.