Chapter 21

"And it went all over the place. It was absolutely disgusting. I had to take at least three showers." Sofia tried to fill the silence with conversation. Mostly telling stories about Ella throwing up on her in the worst places. Cesar looked different now. He was more muscular and wore a button-down. Sofia wasn't used to seeing him in anything besides a plain colored shirt. Neither of the men beside her had touched their food, but Ella was picking of Oscar's plate.

Sofia knew Cesar was making progress because he smiled at all her stories, even when they weren't that funny. He glanced at Ella occasionally, an almost adoring look on his face. Oscar never let go of his daughter, keeping her close throughout the dinner. "If anyone else wants to join in on the stories or even start up a new conversation, that would be great."

There was a pause, both of them staring at each other. Sofia tried to stop herself from speaking anymore. "How's your daughter?"

Hearing Cesar's voice felt like a gift. "She's amazing. Lots of patience, surprisingly." Sofia noticed how he said the word daughter instead of her name. "We named her Elosie Lydia, but we call her Ella." The name didn't flow together like most names, but Lydia was Oscar's choice. Sofia wanted to honor that no matter what.

"Lydia," Cesar repeated the name. "I thought you hated mom?"

"You thought wrong," was Oscar's response.

"I guess I didn't know you like I thought I did."

"That makes two of us."

Sofia glared at Oscar, slightly annoyed with how he was acting. Cesar glanced at the girl beside him. "Thanks for dinner. I have to go." Sofia's shoulders fell. "Thank you, Sofia."

She watched him stand up and walk towards the door. "Wait." He froze, "we're moving to Sacramento soon."

"What?"

"I got a job at a school, and Oscar's going to open up a restaurant." Oscar kept his head down, "you can come with us."

Cesar put his hands in his pockets. "A restaurant? Where did you get the money for that?"

"A loan and some hustle," Oscar replied. "Something you used to know a lot about."

"Bullshit," Cesar spoke. "I don't believe it."

"Cesar-"

"I'm not going to leave Freeridge. The Santos are my family-"

"They aren't your family."

"No. They're not yours." Sofia watched the boy closely. "Thank you, Sofia."

As he left, she stood up. "What was that?"

"I know," Oscar sighed. "He's acting hard when he isn't."

"No, you." Sofia didn't want to raise her voice in front of their daughter. "He made an effort by being here."

"Sofia-"

"No," she took a step back. "You can put Ella to bed." Before Oscar could respond, she was running out the front door. "Cesar!" He stopped outside his car. "Hey, wait a second."

"What?" The boy turned towards her. Although his tone held annoyance, Sofia knew he could have easily gotten in his car by now and left.

"I'm sorry about Oscar," she smiled at him. "I'm really glad you came. It was good to see you."

Cesar paused, almost unsure of himself. "Ella's bigger than I imagined."

She chuckled, "she's bigger than I would like her to be."

Cesar nodded once more. As if he was reassuring himself. "I actually have to go."

"Yeah," Sofia muttered. "Right. Of course."

He opened his car door. "It was good to see you too."

"Drive safe, okay?" Cesar smiled for the first time and got in the front seat of his car. Without looking back, he began driving down the street. Sofia crossed her arms, watching as he left.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sofia ventured into her bedroom after cleaning the kitchen. She was frustrated beyond belief with Oscar but tried to see it from his side. Cesar blamed him for a lot of things, but he made an effort by showing up. They were incredibly close for a long time, and they lost touch because of unresolved issues that could easily become resolved with communication.

Deciding that avoiding the upcoming conversation was a bad idea, Sofia walked down the hallway. Ella was already asleep by now, but Oscar wasn't. He always waited for her. Stepping inside, she saw him sitting on the edge of the bed. His head was in his hands. The sight made her feel incredibly guilty. "I'm sorry about dinner," she whispered to him. "I thought it was a good idea."

Oscar sat up, a gentle smile on his face. "It's okay."

Sofia squinted her eyes, noticing the way he was acting. There had to be something else. "What is it?" She knew him too well. 

"It's nothing-"

"Nothing," she moved closer. "What is it?" Oscar placed a hand on the back of her thigh, his fingers skimming over the fabric of her pants. "Oscar?"

"Ruby called," he murmured.

Sofia felt her heart stop in her chest. "What? Is everyone okay?"

"Everyone's fine," he assured her.

His words were confusing her more than anything else. "Oscar, just tell me whatever it is. I can't do the whole mysterious thing going on here."

"They found a body in the woods."

"A body," Sofia repeated. She knew who it was.

"Hey," Oscar pulled her into his lap. She glanced at the scars on his neck. They were a harsh reminder of the night she nearly lost him. "I'll figure this out, okay? I don't want you to worry about a thing."

"Oscar," she began. "No. You don't have to do this on your own. I can help you."

"I don't want that," he grabbed her hands. "I don't want that."

"And I don't want a repeat of past events." Sofia feared losing him more than anything else. "Please, don't go back down this road again. I almost lost you once."

"You're not going to lose me," he promised. "I'm not going anywhere. But I have to tell Cesar. He needs my help."

"Then I'm coming with you," she argued.

Oscar sighed, "no. You're staying here."

"Try and keep me here."

"Really," Oscar questioned. "You're staying here with Ella." Sofia wanted to argue, but he stopped her. "I never ask you for anything, but I am asking you for this. Please, just this one time. Let me make sure it's safe."

"Just this one time," she agreed after a few seconds. "But my family is there. I'm safe with them."

"Next time, I promise." Sofia nodded in agreement. Oscar never asked her for anything. If he really wanted her to stay behind, then she would. She would do that for him.

"Okay, I'll stay with Ella. But you can't get into any trouble, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," Oscar forced a smile. "Anything else?"

"Be home before dark?"

He nodded, "I think I can manage that."

"And you have to answer all my phones calls. I'll be worried if you don't."

"All right," Oscar chuckled. Sofia ran her fingers through his hair, loving the way they felt under her fingertips. "I'll be back before you even notice I'm gone."

"Somehow, I doubt that."