Chapter 24

Christmas, it was her favorite holiday. Besides, Halloween, New Years, and Valentine's day. Truthfully, Sofia loved all holidays. Any reason to celebrate with her family made her happy.

Sofia glanced over her shoulder, a smile on her face as she saw Oscar talking to her father. Ella was in his arms as she pretended to sleep. Tonight was Monse's Christmas party, and they had promised to go. Monse had never met Ella, and Sofia desperately wanted to see the young girl. "Okay, okay," Geny trotted through the house in her heels. "I want to see my beautiful grandbaby."

Oscar smiled and transferred the girl into Geny's arm. Ella was wearing a plaid dress with two red bows in her hair. Sofia watched them, a loving smile on her face. "She looks great," Ruby pulled at his orange sweater. "As do you, Sofia."

Sofia winked at her brother. She had opted for black leather pants and a red turtle neck. "Little perfect, Ella," Geny bounced the baby in her arms. "Stop growing, please. You're getting too big." Oscar strolled towards Sofia, his hands wrapping around her waist. She grinned instantly, leaning against his chest. Oscar reached behind her and grabbed a cup of water. "So," Geny glanced at the couple. "When am I getting another grandbaby?"

Oscar choked on the water he was drinking. Sofia's lips parted in shock. There were no words spoken. She had no idea what to say. "Oh," Abuelita kicked her feet up. "This should be good."

"Mom," Ruby snapped. "You can't just ask people that."

"Why not," Geny questioned. "I want another."

Sofia walked away from Oscar and grabbed her daughter. "Okay, we are going to go." She had no idea how to respond to her mother's question. "We will meet you there."

Geny crossed her arms, "we'll be following you there. You can't escape us."

"I can try." Sofia marched towards the door. Oscar got the hint quickly and grabbed the keys to their car. "See you there."

Geny waved her hand dismissively. Sofia stepped out the door, the cold hair hitting her instantly. She shivered but walked towards the car. The door closed behind her. A sign that Oscar was close by.

Opening the back door, she set Ella in the car seat. "Mama," the young girl said.

"Yes, love?" Ella didn't say anything more. "Okay." Sofia buckled her in and closed the door. Oscar watched her silently, unsure of what was going on inside her head.

"Hey," Oscar grabbed her hand before she could walk away. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," Sofia assured him.

He raised an eyebrow, "really? Because it seems like your upset about something."

"Upset," she questioned. "What would I be upset about?"

Oscar could tell by the way her voice octave changed that she was lying. "Baby-"

"It's nothing," she assured him. "Can we go to Monse's? Please?"

"Okay," he caved. "But we are going to talk about this." Sofia stepped forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. Rather than responding, she got in the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my god," Dwayne yelled at the sight of Sofia. "There she is!"

"Dwayne." He pulled the girl in for a tight hug. "It's so good to see you." She hadn't seen him since leaving Freeridge.

"Look at her," his wife said. "She's adorable." She was talking about Ella.

"Thank you." Dwayne went to greet Oscar, who was holding Ella in his arms.

"Sofia," a voice said. The older girl looked past Mrs. Turner and at Monse. Monse looked different, but yet the same. "Oh my god."

"Monse!" The two met in a hug. "Oh my god. You look great."

"So do you," Monse squealed. "There is no way you had a baby." Sofia laughed at her kind words. "Speaking of babies. Is she here?"

They pulled away from each other. "Yes, hold on." Sofia walked towards Oscar and took the girl from his arms. Turning around, Monse put a hand over her mouth. "This is Eloise, but we call her Ella."

"Ella," she repeated the name. "Wow, Sofia. You have a kid! I can't believe it." Sofia chuckled at her words. "I mean, I remember when I found out, but you weren't even showing then."

"It's crazy, isn't it?"

Ella looked at Monse. The girl scrunched her nose and waved at the child. Ella giggled, nervously waving back. "She looks so much like you."

"I hear that a lot."

Monse glanced at Oscar. "Oscar looks," she tilted her head to the side. "Different."

"Yeah." Sofia admired her husband. He looked handsome in the black button-down she convinced him to wear. "Hot, right?"

Monse laughed, shaking her head. "Gosh, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," Sofia said. "How's Mayfield?"

Her eyes brightened at the mention. Monse grabbed her hand and dragged her towards the couch. Sofia held Ella in her other arm. "Amazing! I love it so much. I have so many friends, girl friends." Monse used to only hang around Ruby, Cesar, and Jamal. Sofia was the only female friend she ever really had beside's Olivia, who was killed.

"I'm so happy for you," Sofia meant her words. "I also hear you have a new addition to the family." Monse's father and stepmother had a baby recently.

"I do," Monse confirmed. "But he isn't here."

Suddenly, someone leaned over the couch. "Hey," Oscar whispered in her ear. "Can I take her for a second?"

Before Sofia could answer, Monse grabbed his hand. "Is that a wedding ring?"

Oscar looked at Sofia, unsure of what to do. "Uh, yes?"

She dropped his hand. "Y'all got married?" Oscar grabbed Ella, walking back towards the growing group. Sofia noticed her parents were here, but Ruby was nowhere to be found. He must have stayed at the house. Monse grabbed Sofia's hand, inspecting the ring on her finger. "Wow. So you're a Diaz now?"

"I am," Sofia confirmed. "Truthfully, it feels like Oscar's more a part of my family than I am of his."

"Because of Cesar?" It was hard for Monse to think about him. She shifted nervously at the mention of his name. "Has he met Ella?"

"Once," Sofia responded. "Recently, actually. He and Oscar aren't on speaking terms anymore." Monse listened closely. "I reached out recently. I wanted him and Oscar to talk before we moved-"

"You're moving?" Monse cut her off. "Where? When?"

"Sacramento. We leave in a few weeks, I think. I'm not sure. Oscar's not good with dates."

Monse smiled faintly, "I still can't believe Ruby's shy older sister married Spooky." That was a name she hadn't heard in a long time. "I'm really happy for you."

"Thank you."

Monse glanced at Oscar, who was holding Ella. "I have to ask. Are you going to have any more?"

"Have anymore what?"

"Kids," Monse said. "With your genes, you should be blessing the Earth with children."

"These genes are related to Ruby."

Monse shivered, "there's no way. You were definitely swapped in the hospital." Sofia chuckled. She wasn't sure how to answer Monse's question. But luckily, she didn't have to. The front door opened, and Jasmine walked inside. "I'm going to say hello. Don't go anywhere."

"Okay." Monse stood up and walked towards Jasmine. "I'll be here." Sofia glanced at Oscar again. The question lingered in the back of her mind. Truthfully, she did want more kids. However, Oscar had never mentioned wanting more. She was too scared to bring up the topic and avoided the idea altogether. It was easier that way.

Oscar glanced at her, and their eyes locked. Catching her gaze, he smirked and winked. Sofia rolled her eyes. Pushing off the couch, she walked into the kitchen to get a drink.