Chapter Thirty-six

The next morning, I browsed on my laptop while Abigail got dressed. Cody had sent me screenshot after screenshot. I had broken Instagram. Several people from as far away as Russia and China wanted to come see me, and #SanRafaelDragon had over half a million tagged posts. I made a mental note to craft a global travel plan the following year.

"Can't say if this is awesome or frightening," I typed into the chat box, though it took me a bit longer due to my thick fingers and pointy claws. "We'll just tackle it as it comes."

Little did I realize how impactful that final Discord message would become.

I logged out and shut off the laptop, just as Abigail walked through the door, fully dressed in formal attire. I, on the other hand, had just my ironed-down sarong-style shorts. But they'd have to do.

Abigail drove her Toyota Camry through the streets to the uptown courthouse, while I simply glided over the city. With no stop signs or lights in the way, I made it on time with half an hour to spare.

I was led by police along a narrow hall towards a thick wooden door. One of them unlocked it and swung it open.

With a deep breath, I put one foot forward, then another, and slowly walked into the courtroom, my sharp dragon eyes taking in all the sights. I had heard about and read about courtrooms but I'd never been inside one.

Despite whatever efforts the officer I had spoken to made, the audience still gasped, and I noticed many of them shaking in fear, having dropped their pens, papers, and phones.

"Stay calm, stay calm!" I whispered, fighting the anger in my voice, gesturing with my cuffed hands. How many times would I have to go through this?

Since I was too large to sit on any chair, I simply stood beside the guards, offset of a wide table with two men dressed sharply in spotless suits and ties, a pen in their left hands and a short stack of documents in front of them on the tabletop. Most definitely they were lawyers.

The judge's eyes widened as he glanced at me, but soon relaxed and struck his hammer.

"Silence!" he barked. "Let the trial begin."

I walked onto a small stage and faced the judge - Mr. Ivan Roffe, keeping my eyes and ears equally alert. I eyed him as he rifled through his papers.

The side door opened, and three people walked in. Instantly I recognized them all – Jack, Melanie (who looked like she'd been crying for ten minutes non-stop), and Cody. I didn't look at them as a couple security guards led them past me to face the judge as well. The trial then continued.

"Mr. Maverick Johnson, you have resisted arrest, right?"

"Yes, sir."

There was a long pause. "You did indeed. You also have previously saved the life of a little girl."

I forced back a smirk as the judge gave a big sigh, before raising his eyebrows slightly at someone behind. "You wish to speak, Mr. Booth?"

The confident lawyer stood up and spoke on my behalf. "Your Honor, though Maverick here may have his outer appearance changed through yet unknown causes, his truthfulness has remained consistent. While his friends may have lied, he has not ever been dishonest towards anybody. Going through my documents of evidence, one in particular submitted by a large group of campers far out east at Lake Tahoe..."

I bit back a gasp. Had those friendly nature lovers come this far to support me?

"...Maverick has not ever injured or killed a single human, and in fact has even hurt himself trying to save them – twice. He simply wants to live life freely without anyone judging or pulling him, you could say."

"That is a fair and reasonable request, but under public space law, prohibition of photography and filming is limited to polite requests and cannot be enforced. Harassment and trespassing laws can also still apply," the judge explained. "However, in all fronts besides physical appearance, Mr. Maverick Johnson qualifies as a sentient being - a human in soul and spirit, just like all of us here today. I mandate the conduction of a full DNA test to confirm his biological connection to his family and provide solid evidence for those who may be willing to refute the claims of his humanity - outside of court."

Ivan then turned to Jack, who was standing alone, without any under-handed nepotism. His attorney then attempted a clever convincing wording to explain how Jack's "lying" wasn't really a lie but simply withholding information with extensive delay. But as phone calls between Jack and Abigail were played, the argument fell flat on its face.

"You actually said that?" I gasped under my breath. "I thought we... kept a code of wisdom, not deceit."

Finally, the burning question came from Ivan.

"Mr. Maverick, how did this happen?"

"The four of us got injured by way of thrown knives while in a cave, searching for treasure. At the hospital, we received blood transfers - me more so. Soon afterwards, the transformation gradually began. Jack hid me away in his parent's home, then released me into the mountainous forests to reduce the chances of me being discovered."

After what felt like two hours of conversing between Jack, his attorney, mine, and Cody and Melanie's attorney, the judge then announced his decisions.

"I now declare the sentences of these four individuals. Verdict is as follows: Under the laws regarding fearful compliance with the act of obstruction of justice, we the jury find the defendant Maverick Johnson, guilty. Under the laws regarding obstruction of justice, failure to report a medical malpractice, and intent of deception, we the jury find the defendants Jack, Melanie, and Cody, guilty. All three are hereby sentenced to five years in prison without parole. Maverick will be released on a $3,000 bail, and must perform two weeks of community service, in addition to a full DNA test to confirm his biological connection to his family and provide solid evidence for those who may be willing to refute the claims of his humanity - outside of court. I hereby order that an in-depth investigation into the matter regarding the blood supplied for Mr. Maverick's transfusion."

I hung my head in despair, my breath jagged and choppy with sobs. While I'd get to be with my mother again, it meant that the other half of my life – the friends I held so close for more than a decade across three schools and countless semesters – were now gone. How would they cope with the turmoil and ever-rough conditions of prison life? How would I have adventure, joy, and sharing without them?

As my friends were led out of the room to begin their journey to the prison, I caught each of their eyes, and they caught mine. We apologized through subtle facial expressions, and I mouthed "I love you" to Melanie, and she nodded with a tear-streaked face.

It also hurt that the tension between Jack and Abigail still existed - even more so with all laid bare during the trial. If I was to maintain a strong bond with my mother, I had to cut Jack out of my life. His house of cards had collapsed with the revelation of many cards being counterfeit, allegorically speaking.

Mr. Booth, Abigail, and I departed the courtroom in silence, each of us still cycling through our emotions at the gravity of what we'd all been through.

"Would you like a ride, Mav?" Mr. Booth asked me after all the law-related papers were signed. "You look stressed."

"Sure."