Chapter Two

Many hours later, I awoke with a start, having a weird dream during that night. Guess that's what comes with watching a movie before a late night sleep. The scenes and the action and the voices mess and mash up in your head with a bunch of other random stuff.

In spite of my wooziness, I made a quick breakfast and changed up into my "Wacky" outfit I had made beforehand. Today was Wacky Wednesday, a day organized by some of the teachers at Austin High School. It was a fun event where students were challenged to dress up in a uniquely different or unusual way without judgment or ridicule - otherwise, the homework would be doubled. So I took up the challenge and went with a colorful pastel style.

I wore striped socks, a pair of loose jeans, and a tie-dye marble hoodie, which was a gift from Melanie - who, in turn, got it as a hand-me-down from an old friend. To complete the look, I took my old Switchblade longboard and hit the streets.

I wobbled a bit on my way there, as I hadn't skated in months after a bad injury and a few punishments from Mom. But I soon maintained proper balance.

My "normality"? Not so much. People began to point and gasp as I approached the school's entrance.

"What's up?" I said casually, pushing the door open.

"Such a sissy!" one beefy kid in the hallway shouted.

"Only losers wear striped socks," came another remark.

Trying to recall my foot positions, I took a deep breath and briefly skated down the hall, drowning out the noise as I headed to my first class – English. I could feel the burning eyes on my socks but ignored it.

It got worse when everyone headed out to lunch. I was swarmed like a bear who'd stolen honey. Students got in my face and asked me question after question. Others made remarks.

"Ohmigosh you look so cute!"

"Can I take a picture with you?"

"ENOUGH!" came an indigent yell. From the maze of students ahead, Jack burst out, his eyes full of rage at those surrounding me.

"Looks like plenty of students will have a long night of work," Jack's face was reddening, but a smirk slipped through. "You've clearly forgotten about the principle of this occasion. Now move!"

The crowd dispersed promptly. With my face close to his, Jack calmed down and smiled. "Ah, people. So disrespectful, even when they've been challenged not to. C'mon, let's get to a safe place where you can breathe and eat."

With the teachers now joining in on the control bandwagon, Jack led me out of the sea of students and we found a small area at the end of one of the halls. He sent a few texts to Melanie and Cody, informing them of the meet-up location.

"You look pretty," Melanie teased, playfully tugging the baggy sleeves of my sweater, and I jerked back in reflex.

"Pink is attractive," Cody mused, cocking his head sideways jokingly. I nodded with a slight blush, and we opened up our lunchboxes and chowed down as Jack began his story.

"So... I took a brief drive up north to test a minor engine upgrade I did on the Subaru, and...I found something interesting. But it's too dangerous to share here."

"Just show us, even for one second!" Cody pleaded, eager to view the item.

Jack sighed. We all got excited whenever something related to adventure and mystery would arise, even if it was only a mere hint or reference. Unzipping his bag, he pulled out a plastic shopping bag. Inside of it was a nicely woven basket, with other small knick-knacks inside of the basket.

"Whoa," I whistled. "Nice basket, though it is quite banged-up and muddy and just plain dirty. Did you buy this and then you dropped in a bog or something?"