Sorting it Out

It was Thursday evening at The Dark Mark and both Bella and Tonks had just finished up with their last clients of the day. Tonks had to admit that it had been a pretty stressful week at the shop. Her aunt hadn't been the friendliest since their night at the pub and she knew better than to try to press Bella for information. Narcissa had tried a few times only to be snapped at by her older sister. This of course led to Narcissa not returning for the rest of the week. Tonks just kept her mouth shut no matter how desperate she was to find out the sorted details of Bella's anger. She was missing the company of a certain brunette shop girl. She also hadn't seen or heard from her since the night at the pub. Obviously something happened between her aunt and Hermione but she wasn't about to get kicked out for asking questions. Maybe though, just maybe if she engaged her aunt in conversation, she would open up on her own.

"So, any big weekend plans?" Tonks asked her aunt, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"No. Does it seem to you that my social life is booming these days?"

"Yeah. No me neither really. I'll just probably go to the pub with some friends." Tonks looked over to gauge her Aunt's reaction and saw that her face had softened a little after snapping at her. If Tonks had been talking to anyone besides her stubborn aunt, she'd have expected an apology to accompany that particular facial expression. Tonks took this as her sign to press a little further. "It was fun last weekend right? We should do that again sometime. You, me, Hermione..."

Bella got up from her stool and started to break down her station. "Yeah well. I don't think we will be counting on Hermione to make an appearance at the pub anytime soon."

"Did she quit?"

"No. Not exactly. At least I don't think she did."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know." Bella growled out in frustration.

"I know you fancy her. It's okay. You don't have to admit it. The tension that was buzzing around the two of you last weekend was insane. Whatever happened, I hope you can sort it out. She was fun to have around here."

"I don't want to talk about it." Bella said quietly.

"Didn't think you would."

After a few minutes of silent cleaning, Bella spoke up. "She kissed me."

"She what?" Tonks asked, turning to look at Bella.

"She kissed me in the pub bathroom. She *kissed* me." Bella enunciated.

"Okay. What's the problem? You fancy her and she fancies you."

"She kissed me. Then she announced it was a mistake and ran from the pub like kissing me was the worst decision she had ever made." Bella said, slamming her discarded supplies into the rubbish bin and kicking her stool across the room.

"Wow okay." Tonks said scratching behind her ear. "I didn't actually expect you to tell me anything. Umm." Tonks hesitated when Bella glared at her. "Have you tried texting her?"

"Me? Text her? She walked out on me. Bella Black doesn't get walked out on." She held her chin a little higher.

"Yeah that may be true but you're her boss. Aren't you supposed to text her when there's a shift for her?"

"Well... we haven't needed her this week. We got by just fine on our own I'd say."

"Is that why Aunt Narcissa hasn't been back. Seems to me like this tense atmosphere you've created around here..." she saw Bella glare again. "Okay let me try that again. I think we will get back to normal again once you and Hermione sort out whatever it is that's going on."