Chapter 19

"Katy!" Jen yells as she climbs out the car. "I'm so happy to see you!" She embraces me in a comforting hug, and wraps her arms around me tight. She smiles into my shoulder and I feel a tear roll down from her cheek.

After she pulls away from the hug, she notices the sad look in my eyes.

"What's wrong?" Jen asks. I don't answer. "Is Hunter here?" a spark of energy ignites in her as she perks up in hopes to see her son. I slowly shake my head, and her eyes immediately fall.

"What do you mean?" I can see tears well at the brim of her eyes. "He's okay, right?"

I exchange nervous glances with the police men and Jen notices. She turns around to see one of them place their hand on her shoulder, and he gestures her to walk. Probably so that he can tell her in a private area.

I watch them walk along the road, and when they're far enough from ear-shot, they stop. I immediately know he told her after Jen threw her head back in a fit of sobs. Tears streamed down her cheeks, and she broke down, then and there. She bawled her eyes out as she sat down and the curb, and I felt beyond sorry for her. I couldn't even put into words how sorry I felt. I knew that her crying was all my fault. Hunter's death was my fault. It was all because of me.